The perfect .40 dia. bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayles

Reaction score
I am excited about the lehigh offerings.....BUT I think lehigh, barns and the TC shockwave/SSt all have missed the boat as to what a lot of ML guys really want. The perfect bullet [to me] would take good parts from all of these designs. ....The bullet would be all soft copper, shaped a lot like the lehigh. It would have a hollow point that was about the dia. of lehigh, It would have a stright hole for about 3/16 of an inch to accept a hard, sharp poly tip. [ Not a soft rubber tip that flattens in flight] The hole would then taper to about an 1/8 of an inch dia at the bottom of the hollow point cavity. [The inside of the cavity would be scored of course for even peeling] This would make a petal tapered on both inside and out. This should allow the petals to peel back evenly with out breaking off. The outside of the bullet would be smooth with a flat bottom.{ greater sabot selection} A bullet does not need knurling to stay gripped by the sabot. The knurling detracts from the arodynamics of the projectile . It also increases cost. Its like having racing stripes on a car , It don't make it run better. The bullet could weigh between 190 and 200 grains . ... What I want is a bullet with a high BC, Adequate weight for penatration. A bullet that expands but stays together, I dont' want extra wound channels any where but where I direct the bullet. I want it to hit peatrate , Expand , Stay together and drive stright ahead as directed! JMO LEHIGH ARE YOU
LISTENING? Any body else like a design like this??
Wayles

All I want if for Speer to make a .40 Gold Dot in 200 or 205 grains with the same construction as their 210 grain .410 hunting bullet.

I like all of that.

One more importaint feature to me is I'd like these bullets to cost .25 each or less.

I'm tired of getting raped on component prices. But the way the economy is going, and the state of our current officials in office, I guess I better get used to high prices and unavailability.

Wayles,

I would welcome an improved 200 gr .40 caliber bullet as well but it likely will not happen. The 200 gr .40 offerings account for less the 10% of the
ML bullets SOLD. There just isnt' enough volume to justify the expense.

Chocodg

bullet

Chock dog
If I could have all of that 10 % I might just go into bussiness. Some one that gives a shooter what he wants at a reasonable price would have it made
Wayles

choc-dog said:
Wayles,

I would welcome an improved 200 gr .40 caliber bullet as well but it likely will not happen. The 200 gr .40 offerings account for less the 10% of the
ML bullets SOLD. There just isnt' enough volume to justify the expense.

Chocodg

I think .40 cal volume will be picking up...not sure though. But if I'm right it would pay for a manufacturer to get in front of it.

[I don't mean the bullet] :lol:

bulletchoice

210 grain .410 hunting bullet

Whe i start seeing these bullet sizes, What sabot do I use for my 50 Pro Hunter? I use a 50/40 sabot for my 10mm XTP/Mag in 200 grain. The gold dots are inexpensive and from what I read good deer bullets. Please help me on a sabot sizing.

papines
There is no sabot made to be used with the .410 bullet, but some of the guys with barrels on the larger size of tolerance are finding that they can get one of the thin sabots like the Crush Rib.
You did not say what gun you are trying to do this with so no one quite knows what to say. Lee

It seems to me that he was pretty friendly when he was over here, now if you don't agree with him he tries to pick a fight, I keep hoping that will pass. Lee

gun

Lee 9 I use a CR 50/40 CR right now in my Pro Hunter. Is that good for any 40 caliber bullet?

I would be perfectly happy with a 220-225gr SST/Shockwave .40. I wouldn't even change the construction. A little heavier so a little slower, a little more weight retention, better ballistically, and should be just as accurate. As Greg said...it'll never happen...

Latest posts

Back