Tried some hoppe's #9

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
wow what a difference! Over the past 3 days ive noticed the muzzle getting tight after only a few shots on my cva mountain stalker. I also took noticed to some pitting the first 1" down. I had to go to town today and ended up spending more than i wanted. To make a long story short, Hoppe's got rid of the lead build up that this barrel had in it and that pitting, was also lead build up! Its amazing stuff but my god, im sittin here giggling like a hippie from the fumes this stuff gives off.

Far out!

Hoppe's is a good solvent. When I was a kid, my Dad used it to clean his center fire rifles (much to the dismay of my mother I might add). I used Hoppe's for many years to "make sure" the rifle was free of lead, etc.

I started using this Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent as of late. I think it is as good or maybe even better then the Hoppe's but I would not live on the difference. I use the MX when I first clean my muzzleloaders and like you, when I feel loading getting hard to do.

As for the happy smell of Hoppe's... old Hippies used other things to make them giggle.. Peace Man!! :yeah: :D

hey when i load this thing, is there anything special i need to do before pouring the powder? Hoppes has a touch of oilyness to it and i wasnt sure if i should do a dry patch or windex patch.

I would just run a few dry patches before loading.

Hoppes #9 is a great carbon fouling remover. It is pitiful as a copper fouling remover though. If you use FPBs and BH209, ya may need to use some Sweets 7.62 or Barnes CR-10 after the #9 to attack the copper fouling. It can get built up in layers copper/carbon/copper/carbon/etc.

i saw that they had Sweets. I never heard of it so i passed. Hoppes was only $3 for a smaller 2 fl oz bottle. Cheap cheap cheap.

i only shoot powerbelts in this rifle.

If you shoot the copper jacketed P-Belts it can help also. If you use a copper remover, follow the directions . Copper sovents are amonia based and will cause etching/pitting if used improperly. Also do not use a bronze brush while applying the solvent as it will eat the brush. And finally, a brass jag will give false positive of copper presence. I use plastic jags on an aluminum shotgun cleaning rod when I use Sweets in my ML.

I would run a alcohol patch and then a couple dry patches, pop a cap or two into a patch and then shoot it.

Snnnnniffffff....ahhhhhhh! Whew... I like to do a little Hoppe's before the wife gets home,,, makes here work "stories" more bearable. 8)

Hoppe's

True story-as a kid, my dog would go crazy when she smelled Hoppe's- thought she was going hunting, even if it were Spring. One of the best smells ever (even safer since they took the benzene out of it).

Re: Hoppe's

NautiBuoys said:
True story-as a kid, my dog would go crazy when she smelled Hoppe's- thought she was going hunting, even if it were Spring. One of the best smells ever (even safer since they took the benzene out of it).

Aww Man! No more benzene?!

Bummer Dude... :?

oh wow, i just loaded up and that bullet went right down with little force. I hope my accuracy isnt hurt :shock: The muzzle has been tight for a few months but just now, i could have used my pinky to start the bullet and push it in.

old Hoppes

I miss the old stuff ( benzene and all).The new stuff smells different, but works just as good.I prowl around old gun shops and shows looking for bottles of old Hoppes.Dont clean rifles with it , but every now and then I crack a bottle for alittle whiff( not too much, I do like my brain and liver...) When I get a rifle I REALLY like I run a patch of old Hoppes down the bore.When I started shooting , 1975, it was still the old stuff and the memories that smell brings back...Anyway its a very rich smooth scent not the light but very "chemical" smell of the new formula.Now if they could get the scent of the old stuff without the benzene...My wife calls it shooters cologne.Old Hoppes and old leather...

I keep pre lubbed HOPPE'S @ 9 patches in my shooting bag.
Works great on my stainless BBL but it does stink.

Hoppes has been all I need so far with the Endeavor shooting with BH209. After I'm done cleaning I always run a patch with Birchwood/Casey Barricade to prevent any corrosion. Then before I shoot I always run 2 dry patches, one alcohol patch and another dry patch. Then a fouling primer.

well it ruined the first shot accuracy. But i take the blame, i wanted to fire a cap or 2 before loading but this morning i woke up to a beautiful snow covered 53* day and zero clouds in the sky and zero wind!
Heres what we had for 2 days straight,
PowerbeltInsert098.jpg

PowerbeltInsert104.jpg

Any guess to where my first shot went? :evil:
PowerbeltInsert108.jpg

PowerbeltInsert106.jpg

Bullet on the right hit.......
ct-100gr-100yrd-348-3.jpg

This sold chunk of ice LOL. Recovered weight was 357 grains(5 grain weight loss). The bullet on the left was 361 grains ( lost 1 grain)
PowerbeltInsert109.jpg

As for the Hoppes, it did the job! I had no trouble with the muzzle being tight. I think it may have improved the accuracy a little now that the barrel is clean and lead free.

All of my shooting today was at 100 yards with 100gr Pyrodex RS and the 348 custom tip powerbelt.

Now i got it!!! First shot was dead on and the other 2 drifted a bit. I think i will do a fouling shot next time and see if i can get all 3 to touch! Im pretty happy with the results though. Two of the shots (clipping eachother) exited the box. Thats a good 12"
PowerbeltInsert128.jpg

PowerbeltInsert129.jpg

PowerbeltInsert130.jpg

PowerbeltInsert131.jpg

Back