front site adjustment on a Lyman deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucker

Reaction score
I can see the rear site has elevation, but i am shooting consistent at 96 yards 2 inches high (which I like) and 2-3" left. I am shooting about the same beleive it or not at 54 yards measured. How do you adjust that front site to pull the shot to the right? One of the guys in my camp said use a mallet and tap but how do you know how far to tap? And how hard to wrap it? Thanks! I hunted for a day w/ the flinter on a stalk hunt and had fun. I am going back in Christmas in the mountains and hunting for deer for a couple days whilst my wife visits w/ her family. I will be shooting some conicals a good friend gave me for practice at that time. I thought i could get more done but my cottage had some storm damage and I didn't get to site in the way we usually do before season.

When you move a front site, it is opposite what you would do with the back sight. In your case, move it to the left. Remember, a little goes a long way when you're dealing with a front sight.

What I do is take White out correction fluid and paint the back side of the sight. Make sure the correction fluid is dry and hard before you make adjustments, or it will smear. So paint the right side if the sight, near the barrel When you tap it to the left, tap it and look for a thin black line to appear between the white. Then you can tell how much you moved it. When I tap a sight I use a pencil I cut flat or take the lead out. Then use your round ball starter and tap wood to wood. That way you do not mess up the blue finish. Remember, a little goes a very long way.

Move, and shoot... good luck.

sight

Thanks Cayuga, knew you would know the answer. I didn't want to mar that finish. It is a dead deer if I shoot now, but i wantt o get it as close to center on everything i can .

Back