Lyman Great Plains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1945

Reaction score
Lyman Great Plains

Been wanting a Lyman Great Plains for awhile so I finally broke down and ordered a 54 flintlock kit . it came in looked well inletted etc ,got all the wood contoured and sanded ready to stain . Decided to completely assemble it first to make double sure of the fit had'nt had the barrel out of the wrapper yet so took it out was gonna clean up the extra lube on it so as not to get stains on wood and to my surprise there were no lugs welded to bottom of the barrel for the wedges to go thru .will have to wait till Monday to call Lyman when I found it and tried to call today they were already closed by about 10 minutes.Hopefully they can ship me another barrel hate having something I cant shoot.

Re: Lyman Great Plains

not the first one I've heard of being like that.

One thing you should try first before staining. Just rub some boiled linseed oil onto the stock and test for color. Most lymans used black english walnut and look beautiful without any stain because they are nice and dark.

That's what I had planned on doing with the wood. I really hope I can do some trading with them anyway I wanted a Hunter barrel but they offer none in a kit and I just prefer to make my own from a kit Maybe I can talk them into sending me the 1-32 twist barrel in place of the 1-60 that's not usable.

" ...hate having something I cant shoot."

:lol:

Dude... You look like you are covered... 
It's not like you lack options!

Tell us a little about your Quigley's? How closely are they tied to history? 
How closely are they tied to the movie version? They are a form of Sharps? 
Or, not?

The movie version wasnt a 45-120 it was a 45-110. Most of the 120's I have ever been around guys had trouble getting them to shoot very well. But the 45-110 was a better choice I have a 45-100 and love it though its not a Pedersoli its a Shiloh. Nothing wrong with the Pedersolis I have shot right next to many of them . Al

My 2 Pedersolis both shoot better then I do . The y look pretty much identical to the Quigley in the movie nice fit and finish . Both have Creedmore sights . My Pedratti  45/90 has a 6 power Malcolm scope on it

Just talked to Lyman they sent me shipping info to return barrel to exchange ,hoping I convinced them to trade out with the hunter barrel

Got tired of waiting and hearing nothing so called Lyman again to check on my barrel. They received the one I shipped to them last Friday and its being processed what ever that means. Then I was told that it should be shipped back to me in about 4 weeks . Maybe they are gonna send it back to Italy and have the lugs put on and then ship it back to me. So far Lymans customer service has not shown me much don't think Ill give them anymore of my money.

I had some reloading dies by Lyman that were not to spec. The full-length sizer wouldn't reduce the diameter enough. I wrote to them 3 times and they never responded. I don't buy Lyman products anymore.

On the other hand, I have a .54 caliber GPR flintlock that I like very much.  Mine was factory finished and the fit and finish are excellent.  It sparks well and is accurate with 70 grains of FFFg and a .53 round ball...........robin  8)

That's a bummer! The best thing you can do is just be patient and wait it out. I know its super hard, Believe me, I know! But in the end, letting customer service do their part is all that one can ask for. You're not the only one sending in a rifle to repair.

I believe Dixons muzzle loading does the warranty work on the lyman brand rifles but am not 100% sure.

I doubt they'll send it back to italy for repair. The cost for shipping would be way to much. They've got in the states worker handling their repairs. Contractors basically.

I sent my Accura MR into CVA to have them take a look at it and it was one week short of 3 months before I got it back.  I don't think I would of received it back even then without me sending in a couple emails asking for status.  So like Jon said you just need to be patient.

Being able to vent on here keeps me form loosing my patience with them, plus Im sure that they will get at least 1 email a week from me till its over.

mark1945 said:
Being able to vent on here keeps me form loosing my patience with them, plus Im sure that they will get at least 1 email a week from me till its over.
That's what I like a patient guy!

Why be patient with an outfit that sells you a defective product??

Give 'em hell, Mark!

I have been and am fixing to call them again its been several days since I got an update . If I don't keep the fire lit it might go out.

patocazador said:
Why be patient with an outfit that sells you a defective product??

Give 'em hell, Mark!
I see you don't pick up on subtle :bounce: breaking.

Just got off the phone with Lyman again .The lady I talked to said my barrel was shipped out on Friday with the missing sight. Will just have to set here and see when it finally gets here, hopefully soon.

mark1945 said:
Just got off the phone with Lyman again .The lady I talked to said my barrel was shipped out on Friday with the missing sight. Will just have to set here and see when it finally gets here, hopefully soon.
I thought you had a problem with missing barrel lugs. :confused: :scratch:

mark1945 said:
Been wanting a Lyman Great Plains for awhile so I finally broke down and ordered a 54 flintlock kit ... wood and to my surprise there were no lugs welded to bottom of the barrel for the wedges to go thru .will have to ...  cant shoot.
Better hope they took care of that problem, otherwise your going to have to send the barrel back to Lyman again, to have the lugs attached.

Yes the barrel lugs were both missing ,but the adjustable rear sight that is suppose to be in the kit was missing also.  Doubt I will use it on the flintlock but I still want it might have a home for it on another gun I have.

Back