My buddy needs advice..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortecman

Reaction score
My buddy is shooting a knight rifle, 150 grains pyrodex, 250 gr shockwave with a omega bdc scope. When he sighted it in at 25yds it was dead on, but when he went to 100yds it was 6inchs to the right.He was told to aim at the bullseye and have a buddy turn the windage knob to where his groupes are, does that sound right? If he is shooting right should he adjust his scope to the right or left back to the bullseye? Thanks

vortecman

When he sighted it in at 25yds it was dead on, but when he went to 100yds it was 6inchs to the right.

He will need to move the scope approximately 6 clicks to the left...

UC is correct - my math is terrible === 24 Clicks left (4 per inch)

One thing I want to add here because I see it all the time. People chase bullet holes when they really do not have a good shooting projectile group. What I mean is, before you start adjusting that scope, what kind of group are they shooting at 100 yards? 2" or better? If they are shooting say, a 4 or 5 inch group, moving that sight is not the problem. Its tuning that rifle to a load that will shoot a consistent group time after time. He may have to drop the powder charge or change bullets, sabots, powder, what ever, but until he can shoot a good group chasing the bullet holes does no good. At 25 yards they should have shot a ragged hole in the target.

Like I said, I was asked to help a young man sight in his muzzleloader. He came to my range and shot the woods up. He then started to blame the 1x32mm scope. I told him the scope had nothing to do with it. We finally got a bullet that his rifle shot consistentely at 25, 35, and 50 yards. I tuned it to two inches high at 50 yards and low and behold his scope was fine. If you can't shoot a good tight group, then cranking that scope does you no good.

ususally a scope will have 1/4" or 1/2" click graduations. He needs to move the scope enough clicks left to correct the current error - if 1/4" clicks, then 24 clicks left.

Back