BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had hang fire issues until i learned what a 1/8 drill bit will remove from the plug, now it fires nicley everytime. im using a knight extreme

BH2090

deextee:
Can I ask WHERE you bought the fusin primers??? I haven't heard of those yet???

Thank you.

Art Sehnke

+ 1 on the 1/8 drill bit. I clean the plug about every 10 shots on the range and hunt with a completely clean and DRY plug and bore.

BTW, I have found the Rem STS 209 primers to be the best in my Encore with BH209. Push a tight patch down the bore and fire a primer as if to shoot the ramrod out the barrel (no powder please). I did this with about 5 different brands of 209's. Most would push the ramrod out anywhere from 2 - 8" and blacken the patch. The Rem primer pushed the ramrod about 12" down the barrel and completely burned the patch off. Just my experience (with my rifle). You may have different results.

Certainly not a "hangfire" powder in my Endeavor...loaded it before opening day...rain, freezing rain, snow, 13 degrees, 48 degrees, took it inside every night...fired just fine after more than a week of this abuse...my Dad's Omega was loaded the same day, hunted with in the same conditions, and he killed his buck with it two days after I got mine.
Sorry to hear some are having problems, but it's hard for me to imagine that it's the powder's fault. This powder is fantastic, but might not be for every gun, bullet, primer combo out there. We use 250grn SW, 120 grn BH209, and Federal 209A primers...no negetive experiences whatsoever in five different Omega's, three Encores, and one Endeavor.

Re: BH2090

art sehnke said:

deextee:
Can I ask WHERE you bought the fusin primers??? I haven't heard of those yet???

Thank you.

Art Sehnke

I got them at FarmKing and they say Fusion "The only primer endorsed by TC"

I had my Omega loaded for 10 days and finally shot it today. Fired perfectly shooting 1in left at 100yds with a 10mph crosswind from the right. This gun had been out on one rainy day, and multiple cold mornings. I have been bringing my gun in the house from the cold truck the last 4 mornings before I leave for work to test the load. I had foer days were I couldn't hunt and wanted to check this powder for reliability. I fired it today, cleaned and reloaded for tomarrows hunt. I always drill the breach plug with the 1/8in drill bit and use a nipple pick after every shot to ensure ignition and have not yet experienced a hangfire wioth W209 primers. My brother in law has a New Frontier BPI muzzleloader which will not shoot or has drastic hangfires with this powder and primer. The Breach plug on his is concave and looked good for the powder, but it must have too small of an oriface through the BP. His breach plug also has the slotted head for the flat tip BP removal tool which could cause some loss of flame through the breach plug. He decided to stick with T7. But I trust it completely in a T/C.

Fisher:
The key words in your last paragraph re: your brother-in-laws breech plug were"SLOTTED HEAD".........it shows you right on the BH209 container....NO SLOTTED HEADS & it shows the examples.

Art Sehnke

Just my experience for what its worth with BH209, But regarding the slotted breech plug that Western shows on the bottle and their brochure is the exact type of breech plug I have on my TC Blackdiamond super XR .45. I may have posted this before but just trying to help as many posters that have helped me out. I have shot over 75 shots in that Blk D and have experienced only one hang fire that was my fault. One of those shooting sessions was over two days where I think I shot 15 - 20 shots without touching the breech or barrel and experienced no hangfires. The hangfire I did experience was the first shot with on a well oiled barrel. I have left it loaded in cold weather (25-30 degrees) for four days and it shot immediately and on target (at least for my accuracy, which isn't good).

I don't have the answers for other muzzleloaders, but this powder seems to work in this model gun quite well and it is a breech plug they don't recommend. I should mention I use Federal 209A primers.

Hope this helps

Jay

I have been questioning myself on switching to BH209. But today it proved itself. My omega had been loaded for 10 days. I went out this morning and dbl lunged a nice doe at 150 yds. Like I said I will continue to use BH209. My load is 90grs pushing 250 shockwave and a CCI 209

Left my TC x7 loaded for 3 weeks with BH209. It had come in and out the cold and rain many times. Fired if off last night at about 30 F with no issues. I really like this powder!

I must say one thing that really shocked me with the BH 209 is when you are done shooting and finally decide to clean, your breech plug will unscrew without effort. In my experience, if you installed it finger tight, it can be removed with the same amount of pressure. Upon inspecting the grease on the plug, it appears that nothing in the form of blowback is making it past the first thread. I have since been putting less grease on the plug when I reinstall it and have observed no ill effects. This is with a Knight DE and non FPJ conversion, have you all had this same experience?

MQ32shooter said:
I must say one thing that really shocked me with the BH 209 is when you are done shooting and finally decide to clean, your breech plug will unscrew without effort. In my experience, if you installed it finger tight, it can be removed with the same amount of pressure. Upon inspecting the grease on the plug, it appears that nothing in the form of blowback is making it past the first thread. I have since been putting less grease on the plug when I reinstall it and have observed no ill effects. This is with a Knight DE and non FPJ conversion, have you all had this same experience?

Same in my Knight DE. I just use a little gun oil on the threads. No issues at all with the plug sticking. Only thing to deal with in the breech is the carbon in the nipple to drill out and a line of carbon on the loading port right in line with the slot that holds the 209. I can live with that.:)

I've had good luck with BH209 this season. Took a doe last night after leaving it loaded for a week or so with a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle as the only precaution. I brought it in the house for a week and just left it in the heavily padded case to avoid a rapid warm up that would cause condensation. I got some snow near the action and that didn't cause a problem either.

ANOTHER PAT ON THE BACK FOR BH209 AND T/C

Loaded my son's Encore with BH209 on Nov 14th....it was loaded for 25 days. He hunted with it in pouring rain opening weekend, extreme cold for a week, decent weather for another week...today we hunted in an absolute downpour for three hours. The gun was drenched, even wet around the 209 when I took the primer out. I wiped the breach off and drove directly to the range. We honestly doubted if the gun would go off, but we were wrong. That gun fired like I had just loaded it, after 25 DAYS hunting in all kinds of weather and bringing it inside every night...I was amazed !!! Love the T/C's, love the BH209.

Latest posts

Back