Trouble with removing carbon from breech plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmerdeer

Reaction score
Is there A way to dissolve the carbon from the breech plug? Is there a solvent for this?Cuase guys it takes more time to clean the breech plug than it does the Encore! It takes me at least 1 hr to remove al the build up and it is almost harder than the metal, what do I do, any answers welcome :? Thx Elmer

elmerdeer said:
Is there A way to dissolve the carbon from the breech plug? Is there a solvent for this?Cuase guys it takes more time to clean the breech plug than it does the Encore! It takes me at least 1 hr to remove al the build up and it is almost harder than the metal, what do I do, any answers welcome :? Thx Elmer

Maybe try drilling it out :idea:

Grouse said:
elmerdeer said:

Maybe try drilling it out :idea:

That's what I do. Use a 1/8" drill bit and by hand run it through the plug. It's not quite a perfect fit but it's extremely close and will work fine. I've also got a set of mini scredrivers that the largest one is 1/8" wide also. I use one or the other depending on which one I can find. They both work equally well. Then you can take a pipe cleaner and dip it in some solvent and run it through if you like, but it's not neccisary since primer residure is non corrosive. Oil lightly, put grease on, and reinsert.

I buy at least 1 more plug for every ML I own... then I soak the last used one in solvent for a few days... Makes all the diff to me!

8)

Doohan said:
I buy at least 1 more plug for every ML I own... then I soak the last used one in solvent for a few days... Makes all the diff to me!

8)

Like Doohan said, many people have good luck soaking them in #9 (at least over night) and then using a drill bit or something similar.

Mike

Thx for the reply`s, That stuff(carbon) is brutal! I thought I was the only one having that problem, hope someone invents somthing that dissolves it in 30 seconds or something like that. :roll:

I use this stuff called E-Z CLEAN [the eliminator] It's a black powder solvent & cleaner. It takes longer than 30 sec. but it's the quickest i've found. I think it's the best I've used yet.

You can check it out at www.msmfg.com

hope you find something that works for you.

Breakfree soak for ten minutes, then the drill bit.

I got a bottle of GM top cleaner and let everything that is carbon encrusted sit in that for a day or so. WOrks wonders on semi-auto shotgun gas pistons and other items that get gunked up.

At Walmart they sell a flashlight battery little screw driver that comes with a 1/8 inch drill, using this it takes about 5 seconds to clean the carbon out.
This little outfit costs about 19 dollars and works quite well, I keep it in my shooting box, I had to use it with 777 when I used win 777 primers. Lee

Guy's, All i use to clean an Encore breechplug is an 1/8" drill bit on the primer side and a dremel with a polishing point and FLITZ on the other end! Shines like new! Give it a try!

I use a mix of Breakfree CLP and odorless mineral spirits. mix it till its about the color of beer. let it soak for a while and then remove the carbon. works great on the bolt of my ar15.

J-

removing carbon from breechplug

I use Hoppe's #9 w/copper remover( designed for centrefire rifles). Works like a charm in a few minutes. Then I insert the drill bit in a vice's jaws & HAND TWIST the breechplug (primer end)onto the drill bit. Whole process takes less tha 10 minutes. I do this after EVERY range trip, generally every 10 to 15 shots.

Art

Latest posts

Back