FPB's copper fouling?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone having issues with copper fouling affecting accuracy with FPB's? On another website, some said if he didn't use a copper remover, the accuracy would go down pretty fast. Haven't shot that many, but haven't seen a problem yet. Is plain Hoppes good enough with a wire brush, or do I need to get a specific copper fouling remover?

I have been shooting them and have not had any, and I have been checking for it. I am shooting 100 gr BH209; if you load them up hot enough it might be possible. Lee

From my varmint hunting days, Hoppes #9 is not a copper remover . The best is Sweets 7.62 followed by Barnes CR-10. the amonia based cleaners work the best. Follow the instructions as you can damage the barrel with amonia based cleaners of not done properly. When you follow the instructions, it is perfectly safe though.

Using a copper solvent, be sure to use a plastic or aluminum jag. It will eat bronze brushes and brass jags will give you a false copper reading.

Latest posts

Back