Lyman GPR New VS Used?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
A local guy is selling is excellent condition 50 cal GPR for $500
He has a few extras with it but I really don't need the extras.
It is a bit more than I wanted to spend for used and he seems firm.
Also about an hour drive one way.
Looks like new they are now running about $640 or more.
Has anyone seem them cheaper anywhere?
What do you think?

500 for used? Not even, they do not hold their value well at all. 400 tops. Take the lock out and check the wood for cracks before deciding.

500 for used? Not even, they do not hold their value well at all. 400 tops. Take the lock out and check the wood for cracks before deciding.

Cracked stock is a concern of mine since I have had four cracked stocks
of Lyman GPR.
However checking Gunbroker they do seem to hold value very well.
I am also looking at re-barreling my T/C with a barrel from either Colerain or Hoyt.

The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon sells them new for $625. I believe retail is $799. $450 or $500 wouldn't be a bad price depending on the condition. I was lucky enough to purchase a 54 cal. at a pawn shop for $329.

Hylander, I don't know anything much about colerain but I know for sure about a Hoyt bbl. I had Bobby do a 50 to 54 radius rifleing 1:60 and it is the best shooter I have ever owned. The 54 is not finicky about charge or patch, but will show a preference of lubes. If I do my part, and not as often as I need to, it will clover leaf groups at 50 yards and still do 31/2 to 4" groups at 100. I know the spread is my fault iron sights are getting more difficult now.

Latest posts

Back