opps!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneseeJoe

Reaction score
sorry somehow posted this in the bowhunting section so copied it to here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:13 pm Post subject: Bullet weight, loads and what to expect. Reply with quote
Have taken my ML twice to the range. Still working out what bullet and load to use. Have a TC Omega z5, with a Nikon 3x9x40 with BDC. Shot this at a 30yrd range using 85gr. of T7 and a Traditions 240gr. hp. Got a 1.5" group. Second time out went to 90gr. kept the 1.5" group but about an inch higher. So, first is this what I should expect to see, an one inch higher increase for each 5gr. increase in powder at 30 yds? How are these bullets for hunting, good in the 50-100yds range, what about beyond? Also bought some of same style bullets made by TC but 230gr. Will check but what can I expect in change of POI? Also have some shockwave 250gr. will test would these be better for hunting deer if shooting at between 100 and 200yds.? Will be testing but interested in all input because not sure yet of hunting conditions for this fall, 50yds in the woods, or longer shot over planted farm fields.

GeneseeJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:13 pm Post subject: Bullet weight, loads and what to expect. Reply with quote
Have taken my ML twice to the range. Still working out what bullet and load to use. Have a TC Omega z5, with a Nikon 3x9x40 with BDC. Shot this at a 30yrd range using 85gr. of T7 and a Traditions 240gr. hp. Got a 1.5" group. Second time out went to 90gr. kept the 1.5" group but about an inch higher. So, first is this what I should expect to see, an one inch higher increase for each 5gr. increase in powder at 30 yds?

The gun, the scope and the powder are very items to have. I also shoot an Omega but it is a SS thumbhole.

With that gun and that scope I honestly think you can tighten that group up @ 30 yards, but if the gun is new you are really just starting to break the bore in and things will probably tighten up.

Now this is just my opinion - really does not mean much @ all but I would probably not use that particular projectile to hunt with. You might find it cheaper (less expensive) to buy a box of pistol bullets and sabot that will fit your bore + doing that I think you could get a much better bullet - just in my book... I would try to locate some Speer .452/250 grain Gold Dots. Sabots that might be a little more of a problem as with a newer TC you will not know how tight your bore might be, but if you a loading the Traditions OK... I would say that you can also load Harvester Short black sabots or MMP HPH-24's - I use the 24's.

The 250 is a bonded bullet with a fairly deep HP - it also has been developed to offer controlled expansion. So in short the bullet will not come apart and it should not pancake. I shoot this bullet sabot combination with 110 grains of T7-2f. Excellent bullet for Whitetail. It can be shot from 10 to 150 shooting point blank and can be effective to 200 yards.

Expanded Gold dots

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

Think I asked this before but where are you located??? we have a small farm town just south of here called Genesee

Thanks for reply, I am near Flint Michigan, so not sure what town you're referring to. With either of the HP, which are similar to the Gold Dots, cost average was $5 for 10 with sabot. I'll have to check into the Gold Dots cost. It's fun shooting my ML so don't mind testing bullet and powder combinations. The accuracy might have more to do with the shooter then the equipment, just getting back into hunting after 30yr. break. Next trip to range plan on using the same bullet and powder, but at 100yds. using the first circle of the BDC. also may try the shockwave. The shockwaves came with the gun, on another board read where using them on deer they got no expansion just small pass through. Given there design was surprised by this anyone out there having any problems with them not expanding?

Hey Genesee Joe, I am in Otisville right down the road from ya..
Maybe we can get together and shoot at my place sometime, I just got a new Omega and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet..I had a Omega for 5yrs and sold it (long story) and I always used the shockwaves with no problems..200 grn and 250grn both grouped well..

Back