Vertical Stringing on Groups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
I have noticed that my groups have a consistent pattern.

Unfortunately, the most consistent thing about them is that they string vertically... :(

Sometimes the stringing is minor and sometimes it is major, but it's consistent, none-the-less... :?

I know that it can be very hard to diagnose problems over the ethernet, but I am sure others have encountered this problem also, so here is my question:

Is there a trick that I have to learn to undo this malady, or is this considered normal? :?:

1.Overheated barrel 2.holding the rifle loose 3.inconsistent hold 4.something touching the barrel,ie. forend,sand bag,front rest,your hand.These are the easy possibilties.Gets more complicated when it comes to your load and loading proceedure.I'm sure others will get into that.

Try to do every thing the same every shot, seating pressure, swab between shots or dont swab between shots, barrel temp., etc.
What helped me the most was weighing the powder charges, no matter what powder you are using.

Tim

In my humble opinion, vertical stringing is caused by velocity changes.
Two of the causes could me barrel fouling and, or inconsistant powder charges.
Hope this helps.
Tim

If you are resting your barrel on a hard surface it can cause it but the most common cause is shooting a powder load the gun don't like or the bedding.
Suggest picking the bullet and sabot that normally shoot the best and shooting for groups off a rest starting at 80 gr and going to the limit of that particular gun. if they all string up and down then you best look at the bedding of the barrel it any shoot decent groups then you just had the wrong amount of powder. Lee

I would agree with all of the above comments :yeah:

Try uping you powder charge 5gr at a time untill they start to tighten up
if you have horizontal strings decrease your charges by 5gr at a time you will start to notice a change .

With muzzleloaders for me practically always one of two things will help:

1. Use a firmer grip/hold on the muzzleloader. Breech-style inlines, Encore/Omega/Triumph, ALL have more muzzle "flip" during recoil because the breech is so far toward the rear. Recoil tends to "flip" instead of just recoil like on bolt action/plunger guns. I a firm, CONSISTANT shot to shot hold usually corrects this.

2. Try a differnt powder charge.

One more thing I don't think anyone has touched upon. Make sure you position the same spot of the forend on the front rest each time. Having the front rest near the tip of one time - then closer to the breech another time can cause vertical stringing. I find putting the front rest about three inches forward of my trigger guard gives me the best bench accuracy.

Thanks for all the helpful hints...

I really think my stringing of groups is due to two things...

1. Not gripping the forend with a consistent, tight grip.

2. Not placing the same forend spot on the front sandbag rest consistently.

Next time I go to the range, I will work on these two things and see if I can cure the stringing issue.

Latest posts

Back