Lost a friend last week

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
I lost my best friend of 45 years to cancer but the reason I'm doing a post here is we built a cva hawken rifle from kits we bought I'm thinking about 25 + years gone by and it's been hanging on his wall all these years so when I went back for his funeral I received the gun from his kids so I shipped it home and went thru and adjusted the sear and triggers and I shot it at my match today and won here are the targets all off hand not the best groups but not too bad either it was a honor shooting his gun today hopefully he was looking down smiling ! Well it's going back on the wall until it's my time to meet him again !!

Attachments

• 20200223_140119.jpg
    20200223_140119.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 34146.jpeg
    34146.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 34145.jpeg
    34145.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 34148.jpeg
    34148.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
I forgot to mention these were cva .50 cal hawken kits with the extra 12 ga barrels

Yes I talked to his twin brother Ron yesterday and suggested we both take a deer with it the gun is definitely accurate enough. I'm always amazed at how accurate these muzzleloaders are. This cva has both adjustable trigger and sear so getting the trigger adjusted down was pretty simple compared to other locks that certainly goes along ways in getting a gun to shoot well at least for me. I think I could have tightened up the groups even better but I kept trying different holds due to not being used to shooting this gun. I wasn't going to post this picture but this is one of the things he wanted me to have his pride and joy in life he abosulty loved riding his motorcycles he used to take me for rides when I was a small boy I will be honored to ride it !

Attachments

• 1581278877643_output.jpg
    1581278877643_output.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 22
years ago I used to hear the old timers say - that the only true friends that I have you can count on one hand with 3 fingers cut off! I am 70+++++and still remember this saying!

years ago I used to hear the old timers say - that the only true friends that I have you can count on one hand with 3 fingers cut off! I am 70+++++and still remember this saying!
Yes I hear ya on that he was the only person I would give the keys to my house and he did the same for me !

A long term friend like yours is a rare treasure. Please accept my sympathies for your loss.
Ron

So sorry for your loss of such a good friend. And what a nice gesture by his family to gift you with his rifle. Keep it where you can see it and you will think of him often.

God blessed you both for that friendship that only special people receive. Mine friend like yours has been my friend for 58 years and we are traveling through life. Sorry for your loss I can imagine how it feels losing a part of you.

So sorry for your loss of such a good friend. And what a nice gesture by his family to gift you with his rifle. Keep it where you can see it and you will think of him often.
Yes I will thank you he shot a piebald deer many years ago "he named him fred" he had a gun rack built with the hooves from that deer I mounted it in my man cave when I get the gun back up there I'll send a pic of it.

God blessed you both for that friendship that only special people receive. Mine friend like yours has been my friend for 58 years and we are traveling through life. Sorry for your loss I can imagine how it feels losing a part of you.
Thank you !

Lou,

Long term friends like yours are really rare. Please accept my sympathies for your loss. Now you have another rifle with good memories of the friendship that will last forever. Your very lucky for that friendship that most don't have or will never share.

Buck

skills.jpg

Lou,

Long term friends like yours are really rare. Please accept my sympathies for your loss. Now you have another rifle with good memories of the friendship that will last forever. Your very lucky for that friendship that most don't have or will never share.

Buck

Very true buck thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back