Another Xperiment in the Morning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
The picture below is a knight DISC breech plug, that jsteurrys mailed to me. It was one of his shot out plugs, the flash hole was in terrible conditions.

I must admit I did not drill it out myself but I believe that next time - I will. I ran this down to my friend at a local machine shop and completed the work in a lathe (more precise than my drill press)

P1010022.jpg

You can see the Lehigh domed vent liner installed in the BP. We also opened the size of the flash channel to the vent liner.

When I installed the vent liner i did out a touch of anti-seize on the threads and a teflon button under the bell of the vent liner. I am hoping this will slow down the possible seizing of the vent liner. Really I am not to concerned about it if it seizes I'll just throw it into some boiling water and it will come loose very easily. In the picture you can see the teflon button around the edges of the vent liner.

I made the teflon buttons by puching out a donut then cutting small buttons from the tape...

P1010020.jpg

I am thinking this will be a lot less expensive.... replace the vent liner instead of the breech plug when the flash hole wears out.

I have installed it in the new 50 cal DISC Elite that arrived the other day and the plan right now is to get some shooting in tomorrow morning.

Installing the BP into the Elite with a 1/4" deep socket.

P1010023.jpg

Both of those breechplugs plugs had approximately 200 rounds through each one of them using Winchester 209 and Federal 209A primers. As Sabotloader mentioned, the orifices opened up, to over .040", and had many cracks present in to the base metal along with a lot of erosion. I started popping primer and the accuracy went South on day at the range. It took me a while to find the problem as this was well before I became a member on this forum and no one else that I know shoots MLs. I am hoping that this modification works especially if Knight finally goes under. Thanks for doing the testing Sabotloader.

Back