t/c super xr 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
has anybody used these sabots in their smokepole in either the 180gr or 155gr? ive heard that the xtp bullet is very good and does a great job on deer. just wondering if this would be a good bullet to try in my new 45 cal accura? i have some 200 gr shockwaves to try also. what powder charge works good with the xtp bullet?

I've never shot either of them at a deer but I have shot the 180s at targets (I assume you're talking about a 357 cal bullet).

I've run numbers comparing MANY different bullet option with the 45 and the only way you're really benefitted by using the 180gr is if it happens to group better than a Shockwave/SST with heavier powder charges. This is usually a tough task. I haven't even shot the 155 but you'd have to have the bullet screaming out of the barrel for it to be worth it...and then you'd have to wonder if the bullet would hold up. Combine that with the fact that most 155gr bullets you'd find to shoot would be ballistically inferior and you lose all that extra speed by the time you get to the longer ranges you were hoping to attain.

A 200gr shockwave/sst over 100gr of powder is nearly a 200 yard load considering it groups well enough and YOU are up to the task of making that type of shot. It's usually not too difficult to get this bullet to group better than anything in 357 cal.

If someone decides to make a spitzer in 357 or 358 that weighs in around 160-170 and someone else can ensure complete powder burn with charges in excess of 100gr. under light bullets your best bet is to stick with those shockwaves. If that doesn't work I might try the 180gr 357 xtp and then the 200gr 40cal xtp. There's also the powerbelt option and I already posted my opinions on those in another thread.

Latest posts

Back