Jim Shockey Gold 3f in a pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I purchased two jugs of JSG at Gander Mountain for my black powder pistols. Today I loaded up a flask that throws 20 grains of powder. So I was shooting 20 grains of JSG, using a .451 round ball, no wad, a home made lube to prevent chain fires, and Remington #10 caps.

I was at 25 yards and the following pictures really show the difference of a bench rest and just a point shoot... pay attention to the center bull. One had holes and then there are hits...

pietta006.jpg

I had to cut out an area of the holster to fit my revolver because of the target sights on the revolver. But now the holster holds the revolver real nice.

As you might tell, I was also shooting a .22 caliber pistol at the target. I spent a long day at the shooting bench.

pietta004.jpg

Those ragged holes of course are when I was shooting off a bench rest, with a braced arm. It was kind of easy to make the pistol shoot a hole. BUT look at the difference when you stand and shoot point shoulder. Granted if that were a person he would be in a world of hurt, but it sure opens up the group.

Shooting the Jim Shockey Gold 3f is a real pleasure. I shot 60 rounds today and never had to clean the revolver. That would not have happened with Pyrodex P or Goex 3f. 20 grains of powder was plenty for the plinking I was doing but I could tell the difference between that and 30 grains of powder.

When I cleaned the revolver, I took the wooden handles off and basically turned the garden hose loose on it. I sprayed 99% of the fouling out of it. After that I hit the revolver and cylinder with brake cleaner, and then took Q-tips and worked over the revolver to clean all the hard to reach spots. Because of this powder, I really do not mind shooting the revolver as much as I used to, when shooting Goex .

I've had several percussion revolvers over the years, and ended up selling each one. Always thought they were kind of a pain to clean. Might have to try the JS Gold if it cleans up easier.
The first one I had I used to disassemble it completly, clean each part, then bake dry in the oven. That got old real quick. Haven't had one for a couple of years now, might have to pick one up. I always liked the 1851 Navy, the grip felt better than the 1860 Army. Had a Spiller and Burr once also, but like the open tops the best.
Would like to have a Cimarron open-top in 38 special, but they're kind of expensive and haven't seen any used ones.

My first was a 1851 Navy and I had a chain fire on it. Scared the devil out of me. And it stretched the frame. So a gun smith fixed it but I never trusted it after that and sold it to a man that wanted to hang it on his wall.

My second was a Kentucky single shot pistol. It was made by Jukar and was kind of a piece of junk. I mean it fired, but you better be close. A friend of mine loved to shoot the thing so I sold it to him.

Then a group of us decided we wanted to shoot revolvers. I suggested the 1858 New Army because of the top strap. They are stronger then the Navy and this one had target sights. So we all bought one. Out of four of us, the other three have sold theirs. For the same reason you stated, they hated to clean them. With this JSG you still have to clean them but it does clean up a lot easier then when I used to use Pyrodex P.

i remember the days with my .44 confederate. Pyrodex P and a cylinder later i had to take it apart and clean the shaft that the cylinder rotates on. That sucker would gum up fast.

Good shooting there! A rest makes a hell of a difference and we can see that just by your picture.

JSG does clean up easy. Did you load the round balls up tight and compress the powder?

:lol: Don't you guys know that to clean a BP revolver you just take off the grips and put the darn thing in the dishwasher? :wink:

Semisane said:
:lol: Don't you guys know that to clean a BP revolver you just take off the grips and put the darn thing in the dishwasher? :wink:

That might hurt a little... :shock: but the dishwasher did clean it. If that makes any difference. He just used a garden hose. :D

The next time out, I want to add some corn meal on top of the powder. Shooting only 20 grains there was a heck of a drop that the loaded had to make into the cylinder. Granted it felt like it was compressed real good, but with the little corn meal it should be even better.

If my wife ever caught one of my pistols in the dishwasher there would be he** to pay. I'll load it with dishes then she has to rearrange it to her satisfaction.

Latest posts

Back