Loaded BP Revolver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several days over with varying temperatures from 80degrees to 14 degrees. Loaded with FFFg goex. Wouldn’t do it with substitutes but that’s just me. Others may not have troubles with subs

Question. How long have you left your BP Revolver loaded?
Lonewolf i know of a muzzleloader being loaded close to a year with blackpowder a friend of mine done this when we were younger just to see if it would fire and it did . The bore was still in good shape blackpowder dont go bad over time as long as its kept dry it will last forever . Its not like this imitation stuff they use today and im not knocking it. You hear alot of people today say that true blackpowder is corrosive and that you dont wont to use it. Thats not true blackpowder is not corrosive blackpowder draws and pulls moisture out of the air thats what causes the rust . I have metal cans of blackpowder thats close to 20 years old the cans an powder or just like the day i bought them i learn this from an old gunsmith

Read one account of a 1851 Navy left loaded in a trunk in an attic, the trunk itself had not been opened for 100 years, the revolver was not fired but when unloaded the powder burnt fine, the caps were coated with candle wax as it was Grandmas bedside firearm.:thumbs up:
It is the burnt powder that is corrosive.

The can o worms, I have heard with black powder and house environment can go years, I personally see no need to leave em loaded. If Black Powder is your only means of defense I can see where you would.

Back