Results from Thor bullets sample

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I had seen Thor mentioned here so I looked up the company and sent an email asking if they offered any kind of sample pack for the 250gr bullets and they sent me a samlpe pack of (4) copper-jacketed bullets listed as .500, .501, .502, and .503 diameters. The instructions said to start with the smallest diameter first and see which bulllet took 20-30 pounds to seat. I set up the bathroom scale and proceeded to check the bore on my new BC.

The .500 fell right to the bottom, the .501 stopped about 2/3 of the way but pushed out with no pressure. The .502 took about 17-18 pounds to seat, and the .503 took 27 pounds. Actually all of the bodies are .500 exactly and it appears only the bottom .210" deep skirt is "flared" to achieve the various sizes.

It would seem to me then that instead of the straight walled 1/2" length of bullet making contact with the rifling, only about .210" of these Thor bullets actually is. I read somewhere you don't count the length of the sabot - bullet surface only - but my regular sabots measure a 3/8" straight wall inside a 7/8" long sabot that does make contact with the bore. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Thor bullets with this design?

The design is fine and they shoot god in my hunting guns but the FPB Hornady is better priced and shoots one hole groups for me at 100yds.
I will use the FPB on deer and elk but if I get a chance on moose or big bear I would use the Thor. Of course this is only where I could not use a sabot.

Thor003-1.jpg

JohnMLdeer004.jpg

100_8534.jpg

recovered,
100_8538.jpg

my dad out shot me this day with the same rifle, cabelas hawken .50cal with 90gr 3f @ 100 yards.
Thor-dad100yards.jpg

Latest posts

Back