linnen patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe

Reaction score
Yesterday a seamstress friend gave me some linen, 96x56 woof and weft count, I happened to try it before washing it because it had a read out of .013 this shot very well. I wanted to try more so she gave me some she washed and what a disaster! I can group 4 shots covered by a half dollar at fifty yds. bench resting, but it spread out to 7" and would not do better. My normal mink oil lube and the same ball as before all within 1 gr. of each other with pillow tick does the 4 hole 1.5 group. The only change was the washed material,. Maybe she used fabric softener as the patches showed stress at all the lands which don't normally appear in the pillow tick or unwashed linen?
What do you gents think?
coupe

That's strange. Are you for sure that she gave you the exact same stuff and not something with a looser weave?
I don't know how fabric softener might affect the material, but do know that I've read to wash the sizing out using detergent and then wash again in just water before using store bought cotton or linen.
If it's the exact same material then it must be fabric softener I'd think.
I like experimenting with things, I'd wash some of it up, once with detergent and once without, and then try it again just to see if the results changed.

Back