How many ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a huge urban deer problem in MD where I live. I can shoot unlimted does and 2 bucks per season, 6 total, if I buy 3 bonus tags. In each season you have to shoot two antlerless before you can shoot a second buck.

Two per day, everyday of the season, but only 3 bucks total. The rest must be does and you have to buy tags.

Deer

In Vermont you can shoot 3 deer per year divided up per season.

2 during archery, only one can be a buck
1 during rifle season, must be buck with min 3 points
1 during ml season, must be buck unless you have doe permit.

It's a little confusing but we can only take a total of 3 regardless of number of seasons.

So if you take 2 during archery and 1 during rifle you cannot go ML season at all.

In Michigan.....

2 Bucks (2nd Buck must have 3 points on one side), Michigan sells a Combo License that can be used for your Bucks during any firearm or archery season.

Public Land has a drawing for Antlerless (Doe) tags...... On Private Land in a Deer Population areas you can take up to 5 Antlerless Deer..... We have a couple special Antlerless Seasons..... One early (September) and one late (December) after the regular Firearm Season

wishtofish said:
In Michigan.....

2 Bucks (2nd Buck must have 3 points on one side), Michigan sells a Combo License that can be used for your Bucks during any firearm or archery season.

Public Land has a drawing for Antlerless (Doe) tags...... On Private Land in a Deer Population areas you can take up to 5 Antlerless Deer..... We have a couple special Antlerless Seasons..... One early (September) and one late (December) after the regular Firearm Season

wishtofish,

Sorry, but you got some of that wrong. Combo Tag = 2 bucks (one of which must have 4 points at least 1" long on one side). It does not matter the order or method (Archery, Firearm, Muzzleloader) in which they were taken, you just need to be sure to use your "Restricted Tag" on the 4 points on one side buck, then you can shoot a spike or any other legal buck with your other buck tag later or earlier if you wish. See below option also.

If you just buy an Archery Tag, and then a Firearm Tag, then the rules are a little gray, but legally one buck has to have at least 4 points 1" long on one side.

There were DMU areas in the state that also carry point restrictions, some of those were 3 points on a side for even the non-restricted tags. Reading the rules is a must if you want to hunt in Michigan, but if you fish in the trout streams, you better be prepared to read a BOOK of rules. :wink:

There is also a "Tagging Option For Antlerless Deer Hunters".

"An antlerless deer hunter, with an unused license valid for an antlered deer and an antlerless license for the DMU (Deer Management Unit) in which they are hunting, may tag a male antlerless deer with an antlered deer license kill tag. A male antlerless deer, often called a "button buck", means a deer with antlers where the longest antler extends less than three inches above the skull."

We also have some special draw hunts like on South Manitou Island in lake Michigan, and Saginaw State Game Area to name a couple. These hunts are seperate from the general state hunting seasons, and are not counted in the above bag limits.

I just used my "Restricted Tag" yesterday, so I can use my other tag on ANY buck, but it won't be going on any smaller than this guy, unless it is wounded or is one of the freaks that I cull from the herd (short bottom jaw, no brow tines, mane on back of neck). This guy was a short jawed freak, but not as bad as some I have taken out in the past.

100_2983.jpg

In Ohio this year, with the right permits and hunting the right aeas, you can take up to 18 deer. The game Warden said SHE has not yet heard of anyone doing o though.

NJ depending on area you can shoot up to unlimited does, 2 bucks during the 6 day firearm season, 1 buck with the ML.

Latest posts

Back