Linen Patching?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I always have been told to try the correct traditional way of patching, which is linen. I currently use .020" cotton patches. How in the world do I figure out linen material thickness? No fabric stores nearby that sells linen.

FrontierGander said:
I always have been told to try the correct traditional way of patching, which is linen. I currently use .020" cotton patches. How in the world do I figure out linen material thickness? No fabric stores nearby that sells linen.
Sgt recoil/ Frontier Gander
As a machinist, I agree, but if you can get your hands on a pair of cheap dial Calipers, those will get you close enough. There are a few at Harbor Freight. I use B&S and Starrett, but Mitutoyo will work I'm sure there are some inexpensive ones on eBay. I believe that EVERYONE who shoots or works on guns should own and learn to use them, OR Mics.? Again just  :2 cents:
Stoney1

FrontierGander said:
How in the world do I figure out linen material thickness? No fabric stores nearby that sells linen.
There are a few fabric traders listed in Muzzleloader magazine, "Kentucky" out of that state could probably help you out on linen thickness.

In the early days of blackpowder linen and cotton were rare hard to get materials and silk was common yardgoods. Silk was the cheapest farbic available and used for patching until the colonies in the New World started planting cotton, slavey and the "cottongin" were invented. Then the tables turned and cotton was plentyful and inexpenisve and silk became harder to buy.

Have never heard that, seemed to work in all seasons, whether raining or extreme heat from our experiences.

Latest posts

Back