Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Line / What's your feelings about scopes on traditional muzzle-loaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Line.
We have solved the problems with the virus 19 and the Cold War issues for now. :dancing chicken:

Like the topic line says: "What's your feelings about scopes on traditional muzzle-loaders?" that's why we are here folks, your thoughts may help others. :coffee:

What's your issue with your traditional?
What's your issue with your in-lines?
What's your most accurate load for either one system?
You name it and we'll "kick the crap out of the subject".

Last edited:
N
SUBJECT: Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Line
We have solved the problems with the virus 19 and the Cold War issues for now.

Like the topic line says: "Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Lines", that's why we are here folks.

o issue with inlines or traditionals. Traditionals just look so much more great to me. More fun shooting. IMHO!

I don't begrudge anyone an inline; they're simply NOT for me. I like proven technology such as the flintlock which has been used in one form or another for many centuries. I like the beauty and handling of longrifles and to me this means flint. Percussion locks seem to go well with half stock, Leman and various "plains" rifles and look good. Just me, but a longrifle without a flint lock looks like a three legged dog; sweet but "unfinished".

I owned a Remington 700 Muzzle Loader years ago (took it in trade) never did shoot the gun, was nice quality.

Hanshi, referring to in-line owners "think they were cut out OK, just sewed together wrong"...... heard Turner Kirkland say this 50 years ago. :cheers: 😁....💀....:coffee:
Good one Buck. If you go inline...might as well go modern CF. Although I do like some modern CF rifles(M1A SOCOM16).....

SUBJECT: Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Line
We have solved the problems with the virus 19 and the Cold War issues for now.

Like the topic line says: "Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Lines", that's why we are here folks.

All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do absolutely nothing!

My budget for personal interest activities, otherwise know as hobbies, has its limits, so I must choose carefully. Traditional rifles and pistols catch my eye and I enjoy the aesthetics of them as well as enjoy shooting them. When I am in my home office, I get pleasure at just looking and appreciating them.
Inlines don't do that for me. A modern rifle with high grade wood catches my eye much more than any inline. I jump with excitement (a figure of speech - I don't jump anymore) to hold and shoot a historical battle rifle like an M1 Garand, Lee-Enfield or Mauser 98k, mainly for the historical aspect. Inlines lack the historical context.
So, I choose to not buy an inline.
If someone likes or needs an inline (for hunting or convenience), I am happy for them. They are just not for me.

Ron

My budget for personal interest activities, otherwise know as hobbies, has its limits, so I must choose carefully. Traditional rifles and pistols catch my eye and I enjoy the aesthetics of them as well as enjoy shooting them. When I am in my home office, I get pleasure at just looking and appreciating them.
Inlines don't do that for me. A modern rifle with high grade wood catches my eye much more than any inline. I jump with excitement (a figure of speech - I don't jump anymore) to hold and shoot a historical battle rifle like an M1 Garand, Lee-Enfield or Mauser 98k, mainly for the historical aspect. Inlines lack the historical context.
So, I choose to not buy an inline.
If someone likes or needs an inline (for hunting or convenience), I am happy for them. They are just not for me.

Ron
Good point Ron. The M1A is the modern version of the M14. This is a 16" barrel with muzzle brake in .308 cal. Was issued one in '68 that kicked like a mule...wished I'c have had this one back then. You can shoot this thing all day long. Going to take it to the Whittington Center and dial it in long range. As far as the in-lines, I feel the same way. They do serve a purpose, just not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Had one of the new in box M1A SOCOM16 lined up when they were first offered but the deal fell through .....

It's 9:00 AM. Me and oldest son getting ready to head up to NM rendezvous. There are many products up there calling my name. BTW: top M1a is like mine only with scope and quick release mount. Sorry that deal fell through for you though.

Sorry that I missed you! I was at the Rendezvous Sunday and Monday, but had to leave on Tuesday. My cardiologist contacted me and said to be at his office on Wednesday.
It's a good group of folks there. I met the founder of this group face-to-face for the first time. I have had great respect for Jonathan and even more so now that I have met him. He is a fine young man who is dedicated and works hard to make this site function well It's a privilege to know him.

Here is Jonathan after Monday night's partying:
EDF participant in water.jpg
And the next morning at full capacity:
Dadude.jpg
:D:coffee:

I regret that I didn't have a chance to meet his Dad. It would have been great to have muzzleloader48 around. Without him, I had no one to pick on at the Rendezvous.:D

I had no plans to spend much money there, but I came home with a primitive long bow, primitive arrows (no plastic nock), and a pile of black powder supplies.
Ron

Sorry that I missed you! I was at the Rendezvous Sunday and Monday, but had to leave on Tuesday. My cardiologist contacted me and said to be at his office on Wednesday.
It's a good group of folks there. I met the founder of this group face-to-face for the first time. I have had great respect for Jonathan and even more so now that I have met him. He is a fine young man who is dedicated and works hard to make this site function well It's a privilege to know him.

Here is Jonathan after Monday night's partying:
View attachment 2183
And the next morning at full capacity:
View attachment 2184
:D:coffee:

I regret that I didn't have a chance to meet his Dad. It would have been great to have muzzleloader48 around. Without him, I had no one to pick on at the Rendezvous.:D

I had no plans to spend much money there, but I came home with a primitive long bow, primitive arrows (no plastic nock), and a pile of black powder supplies.
Ron
Glad you had a great time there. Wished I could have met you also. I appreciate your comments about Jon. Brought up strong and independent :cheers: I guess you're just gonna have to pick on me on-line😇😇😤😤😂😂

I do not travel well; been that way for a several years. As a result it has been quite a few years since I was at a rondy. But they were fun!

I'm not much of a fan of military rifles, had enough of that many years ago. I've owned two nice SKS rifles but sold them prior to our last move. The only reason I even had them in the first place is because the Government doesn't want me to have them. They had bayonets, the full shebang. I think I fired them once in all those years. The only military rifle I now own is a US M1841 .54. It stays with me! I've fired it a lot and killed deer with it and love it. I think they are a very handsome looking rifle; but I don't care for the look of the Springfield types or even the zouave. To my eyes the longrifle is beautiful and magnificent; much more so than the Hawken/plains rifles styles. I also think the German style jaegers are very charming.

Virtually every modern gun I own is either long out of production or radically redesigned. The oldest prb rifle I have is now some 55 years old; the newest maybe 5 or 6 yrs. As with ML guns I want my moderns to be made of wood and steel and the newest of them is around 35 yoa.

Hanshi, I learned on an M14 in ROTC and practiced with it until I quit ROTC. Two year later, it was an M16A1. I didn't touch a military or military style rifle until the 1980s, some 13 or 14 years later.
I look at historical military rifles as holding history in my hands. The ones that trigger that historical sense are rifles like:
1884 Martini Henry rifle used in South Africa to control the Zulu warriors just after the Anglo-Zulu wars
Martini-HenriMkIV.jpg

An 1884 Springfield Trapdoor carbine just like what Custer and his unfortunate troops carried
Springfield Trapdoor 1884 model made 1885 cut down carbine (1)crpsm.jpg

Or an 1864 Enfield Snider used by Great Britain in the India colonies:
Snider-Enfield 1864 Nepalese rt side mine sm.jpg

How about an M1917 Remington
Remington M1917 sm.JPG

They all have stories to tell.
Ron

Hanshi, I learned on an M14 in ROTC and practiced with it until I quit ROTC. Two year later, it was an M16A1. I didn't touch a military or military style rifle until the 1980s, some 13 or 14 years later.
I look at historical military rifles as holding history in my hands. The ones that trigger that historical sense are rifles like:
1884 Martini Henry rifle used in South Africa to control the Zulu warriors just after the Anglo-Zulu wars
View attachment 2185

An 1884 Springfield Trapdoor carbine just like what Custer and his unfortunate troops carried
View attachment 2186

Or an 1864 Enfield Snider used by Great Britain in the India colonies:
View attachment 2187

How about an M1917 Remington
View attachment 2188

They all have stories to tell.
Ron
Just got back from the rendezvous...it was great and fun. Many vendors and a couple just rolled in. Oldest son bought a gorgeous silver fox pelt at good price. Got to finally meet David Holloway & friend Robert from FB. Quite a real nice & enjoyable conversation. Glad we are friends. Hope to meet you too Ron. Jon told me you were there.

We were issued M14s but did some brief training with the M16. Forgot, but I did have a Spanish Mauser in .308 that I liked and later traded. The older military (at least pre-WWII) rifles do interest me and I almost bought a fine condition Mosin back in Ga. The really old ones, such as you posted, are of interest to me.
My collection before the last move. Quite pared down now, though. The one at the very top is my US 1841 .54 and my only remaining military rifle.
DSC00294.jpg

A "more better" pic of the 1841.

SKS paratrooper and standard rifle. Had them for years but sold them for our move. I actually installed a 30 round mag on the paratrooper.

We were issued M14s but did some brief training with the M16. Forgot, but I did have a Spanish Mauser in .308 that I liked and later traded. The older military (at least pre-WWII) rifles do interest me and I almost bought a fine condition Mosin back in Ga. The really old ones, such as you posted, are of interest to me.
My collection before the last move. Quite pared down now, though. The one at the very top is my US 1841 .54 and my only remaining military rifle.
DSC00294.jpg

SKS paratrooper and standard rifle. Had them for years but sold them for our move. I actually installed a 30 round mag on the paratrooper.
"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" Franklin D. Roosevelt (Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry) :dancing chicken:
It appears there's no shortage of either huh
DSC00294.jpg

Nice collection, The SKS's look new, remember the day when one could go to any gun show in the country & find boxes new of SKS's for 125.00 all day long. The extended mags are a must for shredding stuff at the range or on the farm. Lots of fun.

Back