Your loading method

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
I've been reading all I can to try to obtain sub 1" muzzleloading groups. I'm curious as to what each of you do to get your inlines to perform to this level. Using a .50 Encore off a bench I have been loading with measured (volume) T7 100 grains tapping the side of the brass measure repeatedly to get my 100 grains of powder to settle (I have weighed this in the past and it seems to be accurate from one load to another). I then pour the charge into the barrel and tap the side of the barrel with my hand to settle the load. I then place a sabot/bullet into the barrel and after starting it with a starter, I push it down using a rang rod which is marked to the same level each time. After firing the load I swab with the front and back of a dampened by mouth patch and repeat. I have entertained the idea of really cleaning the barrel with a patch wrapped brush and bore butter followed by a clean patch to see if accuracy is better. What do you guys do?

Loading-1.jpg

Note that each Powder Tube is marked with the proper amount of Powder i will be using.
Loading-2.jpg

Over flow your powder measure And then cut the powder even. DO NOT TAP!
Loading-3.jpg

Cut and ready to pour into Power Tube,
Loading-4.jpg

Saving Powder is ALWAYS welcome in this house! Use a bowl,Cup or anything that is static free. This is how much powder i saved by re-collecting it in my little pudding bowl.
Loading-5.jpg

Powder Tubes Loaded and ready to go into my possibles bag.
Loading-6.jpg

I swab with the front and back of a dampened patch betwween each shot . followed with a dry patch ..my ENCORE likes a clean barrel .

Flati

I'm going out on a limb here, cause I have never seen you shoot...but the biggest variable in getting moa groups is the shooter (me).

If you change your grip or position the encore differently on the bench, it can and will open your groups.

I have even noticed a different poi when I attached a sling and wrapped it around my forearm than when I shot without the sling.

The TC encore is a very accurate rifle and is capable of moa accuracy.

The biggest variable in shooting the gun is the shooter, believe me.

Work on your basics such as grip, sight picture, positioning and breathing and the moa's will come.

P.S. I also spit patch and dry patch between shots to keep the barrel as consistently clean (and cool) between shots.

Joe

All the above is great advice. I would add the following which helps me;

- Make sure scope mounts and other screws are snug to tight.
- Use a rock solid bench.
- Shooting from a bench rest I remove the sling and the ram rod.
- Use consistent seating pressure on the bullet. Do not bounce the ram rod on the bullet.
- I use a firm foam block for my rest. I rest the same spot of the stock on the rest either in front of the sling swivel or behind, never on the sling swivel. Don't shoot with the barrel resting on the gun rest.
- I do not hold the forend. I let the weight of the rifle hold it in place. I use one hand for the trigger and the other to adjust the butt stock in to my shoulder.
- Good breathing control and an even squeeze on the trigger.
- Good concentration. Some days are better than others. If you are frustrated, stop and try again another day.

I bought my Encore in '02 with a .45 barrel on it and never could get it to group with conicals. I didn't want to shoot a .40 bullet/sabot so I sold the .45 and got a .50 barrel off ebay NIB.

I have tried pyrodex-loose and pellets and triple 7-loose and pellets and got reasonable accuracy and killed deer with each, but the swabing/cleaning and hard crud ring almost got me to sell the gun.

After blackhorn 209 came out, I tried it last summer. There is no swabbing needed between shots, just shoot and shoot some more. 110grs. and 300 gr. .452/XTP will group at 1/2" at 100 yds and one hole at 50 yds. I also tap the volumetric measure too, and the barrel, works for me!! I won't be using pyrodex or triple 7 in the Encore anymore. Cleanup is a breeze too with hoppes9 or any good bore solvent. Don't use water based products with BH, and stay away from bore butter for anything except a conical lube, thats all its good for.

You owe it to yourself to try BH209 in your Encore, if you can shoot at all you will understand what I'm saying.

I usualy pre measure my powder and put it in Lanes tubes before I go out.
I'm using BH 209 lately so no swabing between shots.
I try to pay close attention to seating pressure.

My Encore shoots better that I am capable of shooting at this time.
I plan on getting a BB gun then a 22 during the off season and WORKING on my shooting.

Hard to tell if my gun is shooting well when I don't

to me, i feel that it could vary between measurings. Tap to hard, may give you more, tap to light, give you less. I just dont like it.I just over flow mine and then cut it.

I put 80 grains of whatever down the bore using a brass measure. I usually tap it and push the spout over to level the charge. I dump it down the barrel and push a T/C Cheap Shot down on top of that using quite a bit of pressure to seat it. After the shot, I wipe the bore with a slightly damp Windex patch and then reload.

flati said:
I've been reading all I can to try to obtain sub 1" muzzleloading groups. I'm curious as to what each of you do to get your inlines to perform to this level. Using a .50 Encore off a bench I have been loading with measured (volume) T7 100 grains tapping the side of the brass measure repeatedly to get my 100 grains of powder to settle (I have weighed this in the past and it seems to be accurate from one load to another). I then pour the charge into the barrel and tap the side of the barrel with my hand to settle the load. I then place a sabot/bullet into the barrel and after starting it with a starter, I push it down using a rang rod which is marked to the same level each time. After firing the load I swab with the front and back of a dampened by mouth patch and repeat. I have entertained the idea of really cleaning the barrel with a patch wrapped brush and bore butter followed by a clean patch to see if accuracy is better. What do you guys do?
There are a number of steps besides being consistent in your powder measurement.
You don't say what loads beside 100gr you have tried or what bullets you have tried, finding out what powder what powder load and what bullet a particular bullet a gun likes is necessary unless you get awful lucky.
The most standard load I know of to get a TC barrel to group that well is
Blackhorn 90 to 120 gr find out what shoots best
Short black harvester sabot [works well with ballistic tip bullets
250 gr Shock Wave designed for the TC barrel but is most accurate is a lot of guns
Good luck Lee

this is a good thread to read...

I' going to shoot my triumph for the first time in the morning and starting with bh209 w/ tc super glides. Hopefully I'll have my guns favorite diet to start with.

I'm also going to play with shocky's gold sticks to see how she likes that fiber... :wink:

Personally, I'd skip the Shockeys Gold and save my money! But that just me!!!

I found out that the shocky sticks (I had already bought them) leave a lot more residue than I expected. I'm going to shoot BH209 tomorrow and hope it will be alot cleaner!!

Latest posts

Back