Traditions Springfield Hawken.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? My neighbor has one he shot a few times and never took an interest in. I guess front stuffers aren't his bag. It appears to have been cleaned up good. I can likely pick it up for a song. Is it worth dragging home? Birch stock, Spanish barrel in 66" twist, ill fitted brass hardware. You know, the usual stuff. I was thinking along the lines of a starter rifle for my daughter as long as they are decent in the function dept. So, anyone have experiance with this model?

Some of the newer ones had a 1-48 twist and shot roundball really pretty good. My friend bought his son one for around $140.00 from Sportsmans Guide a few years back. They brought it to my house to get some help tuning it. One thing I did discover about his rifle, when he tried to shoot Pyrodex RS or anything other then Black Powder, he got a hang fire. Plus I watched him dry ball it twice in a row. The young man was excited about his new rifle.

In fact I talked to him the other night. And he wants to come over and shoot at my range with me. I told him he was more then welcome. He's a good kid, but his father could care less if they ever go to the range. Plus the kid loves to hunt. He was pretty little when he got the rifle and I was loading 70 grains of Black Powder and a .490 patched ball. It did pretty good actually.

If you could get the rifle cheap enough, it would make an excellent starter rifle for someone.

70 grains is my deer load. I never use more than that in a traditional rifle.

Back