field dressing an hog

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I'm going hog hunting this weekend with my bow.I was wondering do you skin it like a deer?If you do whats the easiest way?I'm really looking forward to "ham" on the holidays.

Thanks

Cell

yep just like a deer but 100 times more a pain in the ass!! best way is to use a razor knife cut lenght wise into strips about 3-4 inches and peal with pliers no joke the hides suck on them and if you use the razor way have plenty of blades if you use a knife keep a sharpener handy you will need it. then post your results love to hear about the hunt and the fun of cleanin it.

then post your results love to hear about the hunt and the fun of cleanin it.

Will do.So really sharp knife,and sharpener......and pliers :shock: Lol.Ill make sure to bring em.

Thanks

Cell

Well, no luck yesterday.My buddy,and I found a spot where they wallow in the mud.but they just never showed up while we were there.It wasn't very hot about 60 degrees so maybe they didn't need to cool off?

I'm going to go out again this week,and try.If I get one Ill post some pics.Hogs are pretty easy to track,but I know nothing about their behavior.Do they go back,and forth between mud,and their bedding spot?I tracked from the wallow spot up to 2 miles,before I turned around,and I didn't see one piggy.We even went on the other side of the hill were its wooded didn't see any hog signs,but seen a few good bucks.(this area is a draw only on deer).

thanks.
Cell

Hmm....long read, sorry.

Cool.Good site.

Just got back yesterday.Went overnight,and again had no luck.I did take a shot at one tho. It was getting dark,and I was hiking back to camp.I looked up the hill,and seen three hogs walking above me in the opposite direction.I took aim,and was thinking "crap This is going to suck if I have to clean it in the dark...." Well I missed...They heard the arrow hit the grass and took off.Then they stopped after 10 feet...before I could draw again they were on their merry way.

The next morning I went to the same spot and found my arrow...it was stuck on the same path that they were walking on...sigh... I shot low.Spent all day searching em out in the rain,and decided to head back to the same spot before it got dark.Well I'm sitting there in the rain watching for anything to come down that trail.I happen to look down the hill,and I seen 2 hogs coming from behind me,but way down the hill...about a quarter mile or so.Damn it they out smarted me...again.

I take off like a bat out of hell down that hill in the rain.Light is fading fast to,and I'm thinking its going to suck if I have to clean in the dark...Well I got to the point where I seen em go down in a canyon.I stopped catching my breath....nothing.I nock an arrow.I look down,and I see em walking about 500 yards...damn not tonight.Lol.Needless to say out here in the west hunting for pig(or anything) at night is a no no.

So I seen hogs on two different evenings at the same time.That tells me I'm in the wrong spot if I want to get one before dark.I'm going out again before Christmas I'm determined to put a pig on the table that I harvested my self.

Ill let ya know how I do.

Cell

To me a hog isn't that hard to skin. Just have a sharp knife like on any skinning job and skin it like a deer.

Cool thanks.I did eat ham for Christmas dinner...but it came from the market. :roll: Theres a few more months open at that spot,so I figure I might still get one.All the pressure pushed them higher above the lake,where you need a boat to get in...luckily I have a boat.I'm still determined to stick one with an arrow :wink:

I have helped skin a lot of domestic hogs and never felt it was too bad. Maybe because they have more fat on them they don't hold on to their skin as bad. We hung them on meat hooks off the back legs, and then like a deer skinned them.

My Dad tells how they used to get a 55 gallon barrel full of water. After they drained the hogs blood for blood sausage, they would wash the outside of the hog with soap and water and rinse it. Then they would build a fire around that barrel to boil the water. Then on a lever system dip the hog in the water, lift it out and scrape the hog's hide clean until it was pink, instead of skinning it. Then they could make pork rinds, and also it was better for smoking the hams. Them old boys back then on the farms could do a lot of things people now days have no idea how to do.

Latest posts

Back