1:28 for Hornady great plains?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I hate to make another post,but the search option brought up over 200 post.

I have a bug for trying them (found em cheap).Are they designed to work with a 1:28 barrel?Or is it one of those "buy em,and try em" deals?They look as long as a sabot,but wanted some input first.

Thanks

Cell

they shot excellent out of a 1:28 twist Winchester X-150 i had. Really depends on what you're shooting. Some inlines just wont shoot certain conicals.

Thanks.I have to give em a try then.Found em cheap at cheaperthandirt.com.

What gun do you have? They were the 1st bullet I tried out of my Omega and i couldn't keep them on a 1/4 sheet of plywood at 50 yards.

Out of my Knight, they shot decent groups, but nothing to call them "great". :) But if the price is right, you can't go wrong in giving them a shot.

I would suggest you keep your powder charge on the lighter side when using them compared to sabot loads. If using 777 powder I'd try them in the 70 to 90gr range to see what you get.

What gun do you have? They were the 1st bullet I tried out of my Omega and i couldn't keep them on a 1/4 sheet of plywood at 50 yards.

Just a lowly traditions pursuit.Where they tight fitting in your bore?

the traditions should do fairy good with the great plains conicals i would think. I would get some pyrodex rs for them. my x150 didnt shoot for chit with the GP and T7 powder.

Start at 80gr RS and give it a go.

Ill order em up,and report back.I was thinking of getting a bear tag next year,and didn't want to piss a bear off with one of my 230 grain xtp's...tho I'm sure they would do the job.I just want some knock down power.I have some those hornady fpb's also(cost to much for practice.I always wondered why a box of 100 xtp's cost 20 bucks,and 15 fpb's cost 15 bucks or more.Even with a crappy copper coat),and they shoot good out of my rifle.A few inches lower than the xtp with the same 85 grain charge of fff t7.

Thanks again.

Cell

I shot the 385gr 50cal from my 1-48" Grey Hawk over 100gr Swiss ffg, and grouped 1-1/2" at 50 yards with iron sights. In theory the 1-28" twist should stabilize them better provided the rifling will grip the bullet.

With the Hornady great plains bullets you will get better groups if you put a felt wad like the oxyoke orginal felt wads or the TC bore buttons. If you use the felt wads you can raise the powder charge up. How much, stop when the groups get too big.

Thanks for the tips.

I was wondering about putting a wad under em,but wasn't sure about it because they have a cone in the base.Ill make sure to get some.

Cell

cell said:
Thanks.I have to give em a try then.Found em cheap at cheaperthandirt.com.

Wow! I cant believe how much bullets have gone up. The going price a few years ago was around $7 a package. I had actually bought a couple packs on clearance for $4 each. Looks like they are around $14 now.

Back