First Deer, and a Buck to Boot!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwarjs4

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just shot my first deer today, and it was a buck to boot! I wasn't really expecting to shoot a buck, but I'm happy I did! He is a an 8-point, but two of the tines are broken (that's okay by me, he's got character!).

I saw him first about 9:30 in the morning. He was walking across a creek bed about 125 yards from my stand. I had the scope on him and was ready to take him, but he would only show me his rear end! When he finally turned, he walked behind a pile of brush and I didn't have a shot. He then walked out of the woods near a power-line.

I was kind of disappointed because I didn't think he'd be back on my side of the creek bed. I was nervous/excited/cold, and shaking a bit. About a half an hour passed (quickly, I might add!), and I saw him re-enter the woods and make his way across the creek bed and toward my stand. I couldn't believe it!

I waited for him to get to a small opening in the trees, and shot. He was quartering slightly away, and it was a good hit! The blood trail was easy to find and follow, and I found him about 60 yards from where he stood when I shot him.

The estimated distance of the shot was between 50-60 yards. I used a Savage 10ML-II with 42 grns of AA 5744 and a Hornady #4500 300 grain bullet in the orange MMP sabot. That combination worked very well!

Hope you all enjoyed reading about my first deer...it's been an amazing day!

[/img]

Way to go. Congratulations on your first buck muzzleloader deer.

That savage puttem down, i really want one of those, hell i want alot of guns. congrats on a buck hope you have many more :lol:

Congratulations on your first smokepole deer. That`s awesome! :D

The Savage ML is a good deer gun, that is why I have 3. Good story on your first buck.

Back