Hornady 10 mm 200 gr XTPs for deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteurrys

Reaction score
What is everyones experience using the Hornady 10 mm 200 gr XTPs for deer? What velocity are you driving them at? I shoot some of them over the weekend for the first time over 120 grains of BH 209 getting amazing accuaracy (.300" 3 shot group and 3 clay piegons in a row at 100 yards). I believe that I am driving them way too fast to have reliable performance on deer. I believe they will behave more like a varmint bullet, exploding on impact, with that charge. Let me know your thoughts.

jsteurrys

They are excellent... bullets for whitetail. I shoot them with 110 grains of T7-2f, that gets them out the barrel at around 2100/2150fps.

In my test 120 grains of BH got them out the barrel @ 2150/2200 fps.

Ditto...great bullet. With that accuracy my search for a bullet would be over.
3" high at 100 yard and you'll probably be 4" or less low at 200 with around 1000 lbs of energy.

james 14 said:
Ditto...great bullet. With that accuracy my search for a bullet would be over.
3" high at 100 yard and you'll probably be 4" or less low at 200 with around 1000 lbs of energy.

8) exactly

I never shot game with them, but was shooting them today. They were real accurate. I guess I have to keep that in mind come deer season.

They shoot great out of my 45 cal Accura but I have'nt taken anything with them yet.

I took 2 bucks last year with those bullets. I use 90 grains of Blackhorn 209. They're very accurate and deadly. I highly recommend them.

their jackets are pretty thick for a pistol bullet, I'll have to dig one out to be sure, but .020-.022 rings a bell.

They've been very accurate for me also, along with the 200gr Rainer hex hollow points, but I haven't given them a hair test yet :)

Anybody using the .40 200gr XTPs in a .50 Knight DISC Elite? I can get sub-MOA w/200gr Shockwaves w/110gr BH209 and a Fed209A. That load doesn't produce the same accuracy w/the XTP so I'm still tinkering and wouldn't mind hearing what is working for others.

I got better accurate with 120 grains of BH 209 when using the 200 gr SST/Shockwaves. My 3 shot groups have all been right around +/- an 1". This is in an original DISC with NFPJ breechplug using Federal primers. I have only tried 120 grains of BH 209 with the 10 mm 200 XTPs so far.

You're pushing them a little on the fast side, but they should still hold together half decent. According to Hornady, they are good to 2,200 fps - that's not according to the chart they have, but one guy on another forum emailed Hornady, and that is what they said.

I'm pushing the 200 XTP at about 2,050 fps, and have had great results. I've taken several deer with this load, and it held together fine and dropped the deer quickly. I did have the jacket separate from the core on a very close range shot (10 yards), but the XTP still held together and fully penetrated the deer's chest cavity.

If you could back off to 100 or 110 grains of BH209, it might be a little bit safer. But I would bet that if you keep it at 120 grains and just make sure you aim for a behind the shoulder shot (as opposed to thru the shoulder shot), especially if the range is short, it should work for you just fine.[/url]

jsteurrys said:
What is everyones experience using the Hornady 10 mm 200 gr XTPs for deer? What velocity are you driving them at? I shoot some of them over the weekend for the first time over 120 grains of BH 209 getting amazing accuaracy (.300" 3 shot group and 3 clay piegons in a row at 100 yards). I believe that I am driving them way too fast to have reliable performance on deer. I believe they will behave more like a varmint bullet, exploding on impact, with that charge. Let me know your thoughts.

You are shooting them out of a .50 cal? What sabot are you using?

mparks said:
Anybody using the .40 200gr XTPs in a .50 Knight DISC Elite? I can get sub-MOA w/200gr Shockwaves w/110gr BH209 and a Fed209A. That load doesn't produce the same accuracy w/the XTP so I'm still tinkering and wouldn't mind hearing what is working for others.

Your sub MOA loading is with the 200 gr. shockwave/sst (.400") with 110gr BH209.
That is out of your .50 with what sabot?

squirrelhawker said:
mparks said:

Your sub MOA loading is with the 200 gr. shockwave/sst (.400") with 110gr BH209.

This is the .50/.40 T/C Shockwave. Supplied blue sabot. I believe it's an MMP 50/40.

Here is a thread chronicling my load development:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... highlight=

I'm going to give the 200 XTPs a shot today. They shoot the same POA as the SWs at 50 yards so they are good for practice and verifying zero even if I can't get them as accurate as the SW.

I am shooting them out of a Knight DISC Extreme .50 using the MMP .50/.40 blue sabot as the Harvester .50/.40 CR is too loose in my barrel.

mparks said:
squirrelhawker said:
mparks said:

This is the .50/.40 T/C Shockwave. Supplied blue sabot. I believe it's an MMP 50/40.

Here is a thread chronicling my load development:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... highlight=

I'm going to give the 200 XTPs a shot today. They shoot the same POA as the SWs at 50 yards so they are good for practice and verifying zero even if I can't get them as accurate as the SW.

I bought some 50/40 blue harvesters a while back. I wanted to try them in one of my .50 NEF's. just got a few boxes of the 200 xtp's and I have a hundred or so 200 sst's. Thanks for the post :)

Back