777 powder & Primer question (sort of long)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhans53

Reaction score
Went out with the knight, a new domed breech plug and some newly arrived 200 xtp's this morning. Started with triple 7 powder and winchester 209's. Crud ring as expected, it seemed to be futher down the bore but it was there just the same. I put a different scope on it so there was the normal stuff for me, ie: to lazy to put my readers on so I turned the scope the wrong way, wind gusting 15 mph or so, but I finally got it close and it was shooting with in knight's 2 1/2 moa. The last 10 shots I used the winchester 777 209's and the crud ring was gone, not just not as bad but gone and the red discs didn't get stuck like the winchester's did. I bought these things a couple of years ago when you couldn't get any primers anywhere and they have been in the gun safe since then. The last group was 3/4" @ 50. 1" above center of bull so it's where I want it to be. The question I have is why. Is it just because they don't burn as hot if so is there other cooler primers that have the same results with out the higher price. Oh and yes I think the blow back is greatly reduced with the domed plug.

Remington Kleenbore
Winchester Triple Seven primers
and there were some for a .410 shell but I never saw them. Sabotloader shoots them.

The reduced temperatures from the cooler primers does not flash start the powder as bad (is what I was told, and to be honest that made no sense ot me).

Latest posts

Back