Remington Genesis & pellets & MX products

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
As the forum is aware, Sabotloader and I started using a product and had some good results with it. The product of course is Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, Cowboy Solvent, and their gun oil. This product is supposed to keep your rifle is top condition and give you the best accuracy possible. So the real question is ... does the stuff work.

GMB58caliberRenegade007-2.jpg

.50 caliber Remington Genesis Stainless model
1-5-6x40 Traditions scope and mounts (sighting in the scope today)
2-6-09 12:00 noon, windy, 30? 63 yards distance to target
100 grains of Pyrodex RS pellets (and two shots with 150 grains of pellets)
200 grain Shockwaves with supplied sabots
250 grain Traditions/Barnes Expanders with red supplied sabots
Winchester W209 primers
spit for swab.

Shot #1 was way out at 11:00 o'clock and I was aiming dead center bull. This was on a dry patched only spotless clean barrel that was treated with Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner.

GMB58caliberRenegade014-1.jpg

Shots 2-5 was swabbing between shots with the same very lightly moist spit patch. I then decided to show off a real five shot group and Murphy snuck up and #6 happened...

I was four inches high and one inch to the left, so I made the necessary adjustments to the scope and shot again for the center bull.

GMB58caliberRenegade012-1.jpg

I swabbed every other shot. All of this still with the same single spit patch I started with and no dry patch follow up. I should have swabbed for all of them but I wanted to see what would happen when I did not swab... so it was a learning experience for me.

I then used a new patch and again swabbed the barrel and this time loaded 100 grains of pellets and Traditions was selling Barnes Expanders by the card in 250 grain. I bought a lot of them. Now I am kind of glad I did. As this might be the best three shot group I ever shot..

GMB58caliberRenegade013-1.jpg

At 63 yards I was thrilled although I was having fits at the bench. I thought I was missing the whole target because I did not walk up and check between shots to see what was happening. I would have been happy with a group like that at 25 yards, but at 63 yards when I saw it.. well

I then decided to try two of the Barnes with three pellets at the other corner. People hold on to that rifle. It reminded me I was getting lax in my address of the rifle. BUT I am a fast learner. The rifle does not like three pellets and I don't either. Two pellets and that load is just fine.

Over all it was a good day on the range, and the rifle cleaned up really easy and quick. In fact I took my time and broke it all down and cleaned the other parts, and they took longer then the barrel...

Did Montana X-treme have some thing to do with these exception groups.. I can not say it did. Am I going to keep using the stuff? Yes I think I will for a while..

nice shooting Dave i am glad that the BARNES worked well for you ,that is what i will be using come spring ..i have never shot 3 pellets [150gr] load and don't intend to either ..i can't go out shooting the ranges are all burried under 4 ft. of snow ...

Good shootin' pardner. I like the looks of that Barnes group. Very nice.

The three pellet load caught me by surprise. No cut mind you, but it did wake me up. The second shot I held on a little better and it actually did a little better.

Those Barnes and two pellets had me having a fit at the shooting bench because after I shot the first shot, I wrote that it being to the right as simply not adjusted to the scope. I swabbed and fired the second and could not through the 6x scope see the second hole. I actually thought I missed the target with the second shot. Then I fired that third shot and was furious that I missed again. After I swabbed, I then looked at the bulls eye wondering where I was going wrong, and talking to myself in unkind words. That's when I saw the hole did not look right. So I walked up and looked. When I saw that group. :D :D :D :D :D

I was so tickled, I ordered a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm for it tonight. And those 200 grain Shockwaves are no slouch for accuracy as long as I swab. I think they would be a good antelope load...

When using Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, how often does it need reapplied? Is it something that wears out over time or does it need to be reapplied after each cleaning?

Dave

Think of the Bore Conditioner as a bottle of gun oil. What it is .. Bore Conditioner is a very high grade refined oil made to penetrate into those areas that other products might not get into. So at the end of your cleaning session as you would with a gun oil, you apply a small amount of Bore Conditioner to a patch and then swab the bore like you would with any gun oil. I like to work it into the bore real good.

Then before you shoot instead of taking alcohol and removing it... you take a dry patch and swab the bore real well. This will pull the excess BC out of the barrel, and pop a primer or two and you're ready to shoot.

Don at Western is hoping that with the BC it will stop some of the first shout out of groups with the rest of them when shooting Black Horn. Seems they are aware of that problem. So I am seeing if it works for me using other powders. With the Genesis, it made no difference. It still threw the first one. But those after sure behaved...

Latest posts

Back