Lead projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfg

Reaction score
Hi folks.  Brand new member!  I shoot a Winchester Apex .50 cal, 29" fluted barrel, 1:28 twist.  Had to go back to the fiber optic open sights, as I had a 2nd bushnell scope fail!  On Saturday, Nov. 25, I killed two whitetails: a spike in the morning, and a big doe late afternoon.  Both using Hornady 300 gr. FPB, and 100 gr. Triple 7 (2 pellets).  My question is, will this rifle shoot conicals and such?  My original little owner's manual mentions powerbelts, but I was never crazy about them (even though they did kill some deer for me).  I'm switching over to Blackhorn 209 powder, and wondered about what projectiles I can safely shoot.

Thanks so much for your help and/or suggestions!

John

Yes the FPB is a conical. Powerbelts,thors, maxiballs,Hornady great plains, are conicals and should do quite well in the apex.

Welcome to the forum as well!

You may have trouble in that rifle 20th bh209 however.  The breech will need to be modified.

Thanks for the reply.  When I want to shoot a bunch, like you talked about in your one video, I'd like to shoot a cheaper bullet.  What do you use for a projectile when you take all your tubes of pre-measured powder out to the range?

Thanks!
john

if you want the best of the best, go to buffalo arms and order some .492, 500 grain paperpatching bullets. single wrap with 18 pound freezer wrap paper on top of a 60 thousands thick wad. use 100 grains of the 209 powder. wont have to wipe between rounds. its not rocket science. the only way it wont work is if you have the recessed bore with the lands out for 1/2 inch for easy sabot loading. then it wont shoot conicals well either. if your bore is normal to the end it will give you the power of a 50/110 sharps and accuracy as far as you want to shoot. if interested pm me and i will give you my phone number and we can talk one to one. its not rocket science. strong eagle

I highly suggest you DO NOT use a 500 grain bullet with 100 grain of blackhorn209 in that rifle, they have yet to test loads like that at the blackhorn209 factory.

I get what you're both saying.  So, FrontierGander, what bullet do you shoot at the range?

Thanks guys!
john

I'm shooting traditional these days. But for a very affordable lead conical that would be the Hornady great plains bullet in 385 grains. They run around $10 for 20. Another option is the 460 grain no excuse conicals. Both of these bullets you are looking at a load of 70 grains Blackhorn209.

Killed many Animals with 240Gr. Cheap Shot Sabots. The Sheep in my Avatar was killed with Cheap Shot Sabot.

oneshot

Glad you joined the forum!!!

A couple more suggestions:
If you want to shoot a lot at the practice range, inexpensively, try the Hornady pistol bullets, .452 XTP Mag.  240 gr or 300 gr.  Match them up with a sabot of your choice and 70 gr. (by weight) of Blackhorn 209. 

Harvester PT Golds is another very accurate bullet in 260 gr or 300 gr. 

Also a big Congrats on your "Muzzy" deer harvest!!  I'm eating "deer track" soup this year.  :D

We were also blessed to get an elk calf in the late shoulder season.  But, it was with rife, not with muzzleloader.  Had our first elk burgers last night.  Very tasty, if a bit dry.  My wife and daughter said "no" to the beef suet that I'd prefer to be in it.  But best to keep the women happy!

Always leave elk a little red. Over cook it and it will get dry. Congrats on the elk!

I'll mention it to the cook, or keep it in mind myself.  That's another problem when my wife cooks (almost always), is that she and my daughter don't like  red in their meat!  My sons and I are good with it.

patocazador said:
Women are like that. Just ignore them and cook it medium-medium rare.
LOL I do that when I cook for my girl friend and her friend. eeeeeww this is the reddest meat i ever ate.... Yes, but you ate it :lol!:

I understand the reticence, especially with store/restaurant meats.  But not really a need to be afraid when you're cookin' yer own at home!

Walmart is a good place to look for the Cheap shots after Christmas. Had 3 or 4 packages in the local store for 4.50 apiece.

If you want to shoot reasonably priced conicals contact Bull Shop or No Exucse bullets, very good prices.

Anyone ever try the Lee Improved Minie?
Not sure if its designed for the fast 1:28 twist.
I never had the best hroup results with the REAL bullet using over 50grs of powder.

Sgt Recoil said:
Anyone ever try the Lee Improved Minie?
Not sure if its designed for the fast 1:28 twist.
I never had the best hroup results with the REAL bullet using over 50grs of powder.
I have that Mold and in fact I cast up a small supply just last week.  IF I can ever get to the range I'll try them out in my Walmart CVA Optima with the 1:28 twist.

Latest posts

Back