Older Breech Plugs & Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandcritter

Reaction score
New to ML, preparing (after long delay) an austen & halleck. Had picked up some blackhorn, figuring this would be most user friendly to start with. Only now realize, packaging says incompatible with the older, open style 209 primer holder/plug, but rather for use with enclosed primers only.

For sake of arguement, i take this is a possible performance issue, not a safety issue. What do you think? Maybe have to go back and pick up some pyrodex for now.

sandcritter

Welcome back! you are back are you not?

i take this is a possible performance issue, not a safety issue. What do you think? Maybe have to go back and pick up some pyrodex for now.

Shooting BH with a plunger type action can be a risky business. It is possible that the blow back pressure coming back up the brech plug could force the 209 to push back against the hammer and exit the nipple. With the side vent that is a part of a A&H nipple the gun should vent itself, before a problem should arise. Using the 32 mag BP might present another problem as the nipple will not vent until the casing is almost all of the way out of the BP.

You really might be better off shooting T7 or one of the Pyro's for now. Get through the learning curve with that powder, then maybe experiment with BH.

Thanks sabotloader for the kind advice. Good to know. Had to stop up in Raleigh today, picked up some Goex FFg as backup and will use that and the 209's to get rolling/learning. Smoke is good. Have the 32ACP setup you sent to try also but for the moment am trying to keep it simple as possible. Need rounds under my belt.

Yeah, we're staying put now. Was a busy fall setting up centerfires for deer season, gf's new gun, you know, "the to do list". This afternoon was spent with her shooting her gun, lol. But Wednesday will get off work early, so that's ML range day :D

Got some forum reading to catch up on, too, looks like. Have a good one. Will post results/pics Weds/Thurs.

Latest posts

Back