265 FTX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Hornady 265 FTX bullets? This is a nice looking bullet.

I have used it in a Knight Vision that I purchased from Sportsmans Guide for $159 on closeout just for laughs. I loaded it up with 120grs of BH 209 and a Harvester green ribbed sabot and the 265 FTX. It shot 3shots with all the holes touching at 100 yds with a 2.5X scope. It shot a 200 yd group inside of 3 in that only dropped 7". I know a lot of guys can't get .43 cal bullets to shoot accurate in a .50 cal. but this one shoots great. My son used the same rifle and load to make a 120 yd shot on an antlerless buck in our Ohio late Muzzleloading season. Instant kill with a tennis ball size wound through the neck and spinal column. Complete pass through. And they don't cost a buck apiece. Your rifle may not shoot them well. One thing about .43 cal bullets, there's no"inbetween" they either shoot really good or really bad.

I shoot them in my Endeavor and get great accurracy at 100 yards (1 inch groups or better) with 110gr of Bh209 an a Harvester green sabot. Haven't had the chance to take any game yet but I am heading out tomorrow. If luck is on my side I'll report back with some on game performance.

I would really like to cross section a variety of them. Some seem to hold together just fine and others lose the jacket.

Sofar ive been brutal on the 250gr SST into a milk jug then 2 wet phone books and not one has failed and all kept 200gr+

The 325gr .458 seems to hold up great too.

The 300gr .451 SST holds up ok but doesnt keep much more weight than the 250gr SST.

The 225gr for 45LC fragments badly at ML speed. Sold by the 100 and fairly accurate though.

The little 200gr for 460 S&W holds up much better.

The 300gr 50cal for 50S&W holds up fine but ive never had a 54cal that could push it to the limit until recently. Sofar its held upto 100gr of JSG from my old Thunderhawk54 and my redneck media.

My new GMB54 and 120gr of BH209 might push it past its limits.

I haven't tried the 225gr for 44mag or the 265gr for 444Marlin but i would bet the 265gr 444 holds up fairly well.

I really want to try the 225gr for 44mag. They are sold by the 100 and would be a great option IF they dont fragment. Most of the others are sold by the 50 pack.

IMO the 325gr .458 sofar appears to be the best of the bunch as far as holding together.

BTW you can get the Harvester Scorpion PT for less and they hold together just as well. Only about $20-21 per 50. ;)

I agree with GM54. The 325FTX holds up great. The 265 FTX is as good. I wish I could shoot the 265FTX's in my smokeless rifle. Both of these bullets are winners because of their greater sectional density than most. I still think that the 265 shoots a little flatter at 200 yds than does the 325 FTX.

Latest posts

Back