BH 209 in a Knight LK93

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so this is my second post here. I have been looking around and learning a lot. I contacted Knight and they told me that I can safely shoot 120 grains of BH 209 from my LK93, however I don't have nor do they make a breech plug to reliably ignite BH 209. I see form one of the posts here that this site does not reccomend BH209 for the Knight FPJ domed Breech Plugs. My question is why? Is it the FPJ or the dommed breech plug? What if I had the hole in the breechplug opened up by a couple hundred thousand of an inch to allow more fire into the chamber? Just a thought. Please Help.

Thanks for the reference, as with the other forum I belong to the search function is quite disappointing and can be difficult to use. With that being said and putting the saftey issue aside. What would make Knight tell me that my breech plug would not light off BH 209 efficiently?

I couldn't get BH209 to work in my MK85 with the 209 primer conversion. And that was with a well designed breech plug and a flame hole almost twice the size as the one in my Triumph's plug.

There are some people on here that have done some extensive testing with that powder and will probably chime in here at some point. I have not used it yet because the only place that sells it around here is Bass Pro Shops and they want 45.00 a jug.

Hornet22savage

I really do not know exactly what a LK-93 Knight is, but I assuming that the is a plunger type action. A spring loaded hammer that falls against the primer in the breech plug.

If that is the type action, the bigger concern is a safety concern, It is possible that the back pressure from the bore back through the breech plug could push the primer out of the BP in bits and pieces.

When BH first came out I was really quite sure I could shoot it in my White ML. I started off using a very mild load of 90 grains and worked my way up to 110... Things worked OK, the loads were going off but they were pretty anemic - lacking power, as a lot of pressre was leaking back through the BP. When i got to 110 grains - i got a really decent bang! - but the hammer was blown all the way back to the re-kocked position. When I went to check for the 209 primer - they only thing thatwas left in the breech area was the anvil from the primer assembly... The rest of the primer had come apart into its parts and blown out of the breech area.

At that point my experimenting ended.

You really should have a sealed breech system to shoot BH with...

Here are some spent primers shot from a Remington, another pluger type action, but with the Remington I was able to install a copper weather shield to keep all the parts inside the breech.

picCollection.jpg

Here are the primers...

Primers.jpg

Those look just like the primers from my lk93 with just 80 gr of bh209. I didn't want to try any more.

In my 45 cal Master Hunter Disc Extreme, the maximum BH 209 load tops out at 85 grains. At 90 grains I had to disassemble the bolt to remove pieces of the blown primer. Great powder but seems to be sort of quirky, to say the least. My standard load of 777 is 110 grains yielding excellent results.

Those pics are why i wouldnt let my buddy shoot BH209 in my old ThunderHawk with the 209 flamethrower conversion. Its fine with other powders but i didnt want him to take any chances.

He is quite happy with 100gr or less of Pyro or APP so it worked out well.

Western has pics of plugs that are ok and those that are not ok in the brochure.

I've been shooting 100grV and 90grV loads of BH209 in my Wolverine II using the red FPJ's and old school Winchester 209's with no primer problems at all. Minimal blowback, no primer damage. I do shoot a 240gr XTP MAG/MMP combo which is light.
The FPJ breech plug is NOT domed.

I bought a domed NFPJ plug, but I have not tried it. I like the FPJ's 'cause they are easier to handle in the cold!

Thanks guy's lots of great advice and pictures. I'm not sure exactly what a domed breech plug is, technically I would classiify mine as concave. I find it hard to beleive that there could be enought blow back to cock my bolt. It takes about 50 to 60 pounds of pull to cock it. Also I ahve a scope on my Lk93 and that covers the breech. I'm going to take the info and advice i have gotten here and try BH 209 in my LK93 while wearing saftey glasses and starting at low charges and working my way upto the max. Good advice keep posting. Thanks.

I recommend safety equipment for ALL shooting. Eyes, ears and all standard safety precautions to be taken while on the range.
I rarely range shoot by myself. I like having others around, and working cell phones!

I'll bet a 90grV charge of BH209 with the red FPJ will work just fine. Get a good seat with the bullet/sabot on that powder!
Take your time in working up.

Don't mess with that BP flame channel diameter too much. I've been reading here .038 to .040 is the max to prevent too much backpressure.

If your BP was domed, you would know it. The "face" of the BP would look like an upside down bowl.

I have not had a primer failure when using the FPJ's and BH209 (or any other Bp sub) and the bolt has never "cocked" upon firing.
But that does not mean it's not moving or rebounding. It happens quickly. Never trust a scope or its mounting to protect your eyes. Wear those safety glasses!

Thanks, I have never seen a domed breech plug that is why I asked. Mine looks like a bowl not an upside down bowl. I do use eye and ear protection and I always shoot with others either my wife or my dad.

Good thread thank you.

I have a 54cal LK-93 with the 209 conversion on the way, so i will also follow the advice posted.

I could easily light off blackhorn in my mk85 with the 209 conversion but it would cover my face with the worst flash of escaping gases I have ever experienced. I was trying 100gr at the time. I will never use it in my gun again;its either t7 or black mag for me now. Just curious, are you a savage 22 hornet fan? I love my old savage model 322 in 22 hornet. With a winchester 45gr soft point on the last day of turkey season I took a good gobbler. I always save it for that last week of the season if I hadnt gotten one yet with a shotgun.. BTW its legal to use in Virginia

deer655 said:
I could easily light off blackhorn in my mk85 with the 209 conversion but it would cover my face with the worst flash of escaping gases I have ever experienced.

Which breechplug were you using FPJ or NFPJ?

I was using fpj, I only shot it like this about 10 times in one session but it never failed to fire, backblast was terrible.knight and many folks on here warned me not to use my plunger type gun to fire off blackhorn 209.

I honestly don't lnow the model number but i did get a Savage chambered for 22 Hornet from my dad, It has a detachable box mag that holds five or six rounds. I like using it on woodchucks.

Back