BH209 max load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askoop

Reaction score
I called Traditions and asked about shooting BH209 in my Pursuit LT. They said no problem (Great!). I then asked about what the max recommended load, the gentleman said 150 grains. Now, not that I doubt him, but the owners manual says 150 grains of BP or Pyrodex, and 130 of T7; I thought BH209 was measured like T7 and needed to be reduced by 15%.

Is BH209, measured in volume, just like BP and pyrodex, or does it need to be cut down like T7?

askoop said:
I called Traditions and asked about shooting BH209 in my Pursuit LT. They said no problem (Great!). I then asked about what the max recommended load, the gentleman said 150 grains. Now, not that I doubt him, but the owners manual says 150 grains of BP or Pyrodex, and 130 of T7; I thought BH209 was measured like T7 and needed to be reduced by 15%.

Since BH is a smokeless progressive burning powder it does not produce the same amount of energy at any given time that T7 does. It does produce more total pressure from one end of the barrel to the other, but it does not peak as high as T7 with the same given projectile. Generally BH will produce greater velocities (100/150 fps) with the heavier projectiles than does a like amount of T7. And on the other end with lighter bullets you will need to use more BH grain for grain to reach the velocities that T7 does.

Is BH209, measured in volume, just like BP and pyrodex, or does it need to be cut down like T7?

It is measured just like any BP sub - so yes by volume although some folks do weigh charges at the given equivalent rate.

Check the sticky BH post at the top of the inline forum...

I would be VERY cautious with 150gr of BH209. Mainly because you will likely have terrible accuracy and ive only seen a handfull of guns that would REALLY handle that amount of loose powder effectively.

Most people have been very happy with BH209 110gr-120gr max and acceptable accuracy. Even in my strongest guns 120gr seems to be the limit depending on bullet weight and sabot.

But opinions vary....

be safe

askoop,

Western has published loads, and I would follow their load data. They have pressure barrels, and have done all the testing for you. Of course, you would not want to exceed your rifle manufacturers suggested loads either. I know your rifle is a Traditions, but some of the CVAs have a 100 grain loose powder maximum.

To answer your question about reducing VOLUME loads 15% like 777, as compared to Black Powder and other BP subs for velocity equivalents? Yes, that is a good rule of thumb to follow when using Blackhorn 209. Western's max load for .50 caliber rifles is 120 grains Volumetric for bullets up to 300grains. SEE BELOW, AND READ THE PDF.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/

Load data from Western.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/loaddata/

Direct link to the load data PDF.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/files/pdf/b ... erdata.pdf

Blackhorn works best for me with heavy loads I shoot a number of different bullets with 140 gr because that what shoots the tightest groups.
Blackhorn produces about 15% less peak pressure than T7 with the same load so if your max T7 load is 130 gr the 145 -150 is a reasonable assumption for Blackhorn. This all relates back to the 150 gr load of Pyrodex RS which is what I personally use as a good standard for a max load. I have not personally shot over 140 gr because thats about the same pressure on my equipment as 150 gr RS.

Exceeding published loads in guns that aren't proof tested to any known standard, especially without real pressure data is nothing but fool hardy.

Muzzleloaders don't fail gracefully.

Trust in God, but row away from the rocks

Thanks for all the replies.

I wasnt planning on using 150 grns of BH, just wanted to know the max load. I was planning on starting around 120grns, as I was shooting 120grns of T7 with a 300 grain bullet and found that to be the most accurate for my rifle so far.

I do like that the BH appears to not lose as much velocity with heavier bullets.

askoop my traditions pusuist lt will shoot under a inch all day with 80gr. blkh and a .45cal .452 300gr. xtp in a harvester .50cal .452 sabot.

askoop said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I wasnt planning on using 150 grns of BH, just wanted to know the max load. I was planning on starting around 120grns, as I was shooting 120grns of T7 with a 300 grain bullet and found that to be the most accurate for my rifle so far.

I do like that the BH appears to not lose as much velocity with heavier bullets.

I would start at 100gr...this is only my opinion and use the tightest sabot you are comfortable loading.

There is "minute of deer" and MOA...both are not always the best for all situations. :wink:

Back