New Conical for my Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Beautiful day! Its cold out but its the type of cold thats dry and doesnt feel like its stinging your face.

6 shots total with only 2 on paper. The other 3 were on a 2x4 that was aprox 14" low of the bulls eye

Last 2 shots with the Accura @ 100 yards and open sights.

Load:
100gr APP Super Stick
360 Lee Minie
Remington STS primers.

Bring it down about 1" And its perfect
1 1/4" 2 shot group.
000_0426.jpg

Trophy Shot for my lady :lol:
000_0427.jpg

000_0431.jpg

After 6 shots,
000_0432.jpg

000_0433.jpg

Actually i love that front globe. Its amazing how much more clear the targets are now. Just pin point accuracy

Yep, my girl friend bought me the mold for christmas and i casted some up last week i think it was? They go down the Accuras throat really nice. I actually knurl them a bit with one of my wood files and it gives just enough extra lead to tighten things up.

Results in the sand trap are fantastic as well.

what the foam looking stuff by the breech plug? And you shaved!!

What... No pics of the conical?
Not to get off the subject but have you ever tested BH209 in any of your muzzleloaders?

dalberg said:
And you shaved!!
:lol: :lol: i just about pee'D myself when i read that!

Thats Lubriplate motor Assy. Grease. I got tired of cleaning teflon tape out of the BP threads. Looks foamy due to some of the primer crud blowing into it. The STS primers though are my favorite for that powder.

Haven't tried BH209 yet. No one carries it in Denver, all the way south 4 hours to me. Normally all i see are empty spots where powder was and just get to stare at the price tag that was there.

Here are the bullets. My girl friend bought me the mold for christmas. They are lightly rubbed with Alox lube and then i go and Knurl them on a file i have that slightly raises the lead for a tighter fit in the bore.
000_0437.jpg

Nice FG

The APP/JSG looks like a good match for conicals. Very hard to beat the price and knock down when you cast your own. :yeah:

Those are similar to the 45 conicals/Minies im getting. Im getting mine dry too and only add the least amount needed. Most commercial ones come with way too much IMO.

Alox is good but Lyman Super Moly is better. :p

You still need to try a .060 fiber over powder wad. The really help seal and cut way back on gas cutting. Plus they partially clean your bore with every shot and VERY moisture resistant.

Ive had extremely good results with them and a little moly. Circle Fly Nitro wads are great too but thicker.

i have some leather wads that are .160" thick. Think thats okay? Ive used them with great success with patched round ball but not to sure how they'd do with the conical.

I almost forgot, i recovered this bullet. This one went through 3 2x4's on my target frame work "Yep another thing to repair tomorrow" I found it burrowed in the dirt under it. 335 grains recovered out of 356 grains.
000_0444.jpg

000_0445.jpg

000_0446.jpg

that is good shooting with a minnie, and good expansion as well. Also I love your cardboard hunting blind you're hiding behind. :D Just kidding...

Just pay close attention when Knurling them bullets. I believe that Accura has a R/H twist to the rifling. Make sure you don't put a L/H twist on your bullets. :mrgreen:

FG

Sure, i dont see why not.

If i remember correctly in the OLD days people did use leather wads sometimes under balls/patch. They should work as good or better then what i use.

Cabelas sells the plain dry fibers. They are really stiff and feel brittle but they are tough....$16.99 per 1000.

Nitro wads are .132 and about $5 per 500. You could probably cut them thinner with a razor blade and get 1000. I like these because they are made to handle even smokeless temps and dry.

I dont like prelubed wads except cushin wads for ML shotguns. If they need it i will add what i want. Plus lubed felt ones are like 5-10 times more expensive just for a little bore butter. :shock:

Using real BP or Pyro my favorite was a dry fiber (keeps the powder dry) over the powder and a lightly lubed felt then the bullet. APP/JSG doesnt need it for the same reason. The lube felt helps keep fouling soft using BP/Pyro. It even helps T7 a little too..the crud ring is softer most of the time.

Using APP/JSG its main use will to help seal, cut way down on gas cutting (leads fast) and hopefully self swab each shot. You might notice a slightly softer recoil with a thicker felt wad too.

but opinions vary... :wink:

cayuga said:
that is good shooting with a minnie, and good expansion as well. Also I love your cardboard hunting blind you're hiding behind. :D Just kidding...

I really like the expansion results too. Try the old water jug and totally soaked phone book method sometime. I use a full jug followed by 2 full sized soaked books and a dry at the end just in case.

The water jug causes super fast expansion (on HPs) and the books give you a idea how well that expanded bullet will penetrate/fragment. My 300gr 45 hardcasts (20+) w/sabot will plow through it at 15 yards. :lol: :lol:

My 250gr SSTs w/100gr BH209 almost make it through and still have 206grs left.

I love blowing up milk jugs. They just designate with a good load. :yeah:

frontier gander said:
Yep, my girl friend bought me the mold for christmas and i casted some up last week i think it was? They go down the Accuras throat really nice. I actually knurl them a bit with one of my wood files and it gives just enough extra lead to tighten things up.

Ditto on the suggestion to use a wad...not sure how it would work, what about pan lubeing some of those bullets.

Any results using a over powder wad yet?

If you want to try some of the cheap dry fiber .060 wads i can send you a few. 25 will easily fit in just an envelope.

i'll be shooting later this afternoon. i have to set up a sand bucket at 100 yards. Its amazing how these big bullets eat up your lead supply!

well i found a flaw with these sights today and its not an easy fix. My first 3 shots didnt show up at all! I had previously been shooting Aprox 5" high a couple days ago so i adjust down a tiny bit. After adjusting the sights back up to where they were i was hitting it perfect and grouping with those 2 shots from days ago. 10 shots today and its still at 5" high @ 100 yards. If i adjust the sights just a tiny amount, the shows will go 5 to 6" low. So i guess 5" high @ 100 is where its going to stay for the time being.

I did shoot the wads but not a one showed up due to the sight adjustment ordeal.

16 shots in all and the only residue in my accura are those black specks from the primers.
Some pics of the Accura.
000_0462.jpg

000_0466.jpg

tried 3 more shots at 70 yards, first one was 6" high and center. after a slight adjustment, not a darn one showed up. I put my original sights back on and will sight them in tomorrow and see how everything goes.

Maybe i just need more practice with those others, but i'll see how it goes tom...... No, forgot about that darned snow storm blowing in tonight. We'll see how it goes when everything clears up.

Back