problem with Winchester Kodiak

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrik

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this? We have a Winchester Kodiak Magnum that strikes the 209 primer a good bit off center. Sometimes it requires two hits for ignition. The primer fits the plug fairly loose. I haven't checked the firing pin hole yet.......could that be the problem? It's a pretty cheap gun but it shoots good......when it fires.

mcrik

mcrik said:
Anyone have any experience with this? We have a Winchester Kodiak Magnum that strikes the 209 primer a good bit off center. Sometimes it requires two hits for ignition. The primer fits the plug fairly loose. I haven't checked the firing pin hole yet.......could that be the problem? It's a pretty cheap gun but it shoots good......when it fires.

mcrik

Can you give us any pics?

Are you sure its not a CVA Kodiak? I now for a fact they had problems on some of the 2006-07 models that took several times to make the primer fire.

Yea....it's made by CVA. In fact the Winchester name only appeared on the box.

mcrik

cva used to market the Winchester name, Excellent rifles!

Call CVA and im sure they will have you send it in for fixing. Its all done under warranty.

I disassembled The rifle and found this: The hole for the breech pivot pin is out of position (too close to the breech) by about .015, causing the breech block to pivot past center until locating on the action stop. Thus causing the firing pin to strike the primer very high and result in a misfire.

I wonder what to expect in turn around time from CVA?

I could repair it my self but CVA might void the warranty. (if one still exists)

mcrik

dont try fixing it yourself! Just call them, tell them the problem and they'll either fix the problem or just send you a new rifle.

mckric don't try it yourself, it will void any future warranty. I sent my Kodiak back last year to lighten the trigger pull and it was back within 2 weeks. Make sure that you call first to get the work order copy that you will need.

I found the problem....The hinged breech swings on a pivot pin that is not long enough. The thickness of the hinged breech is .997 thick. The pivot pin is .965 long, which would probably be OK, except that the pin has chamfers on both ends that measure about .035 X 45 deg. This pin does not have enough bearing surface to locate the pivoting breech. The breech's holes also have a significant amount of taper caused by the reamer wallowing.

All of which is corrected well enough by a pivot pin with enough length to project completely through the pivoting breech.

mcrik

Back