Shooting Questian

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twopopper

Reaction score
I purchased a CVA Optima and took it out shooting last weekend for the first time. I set up at 50 yards with open sights and put 3 shots in the center about 1 inch high. Will I be higher or lower at 100 yards?

Lots of variables here... velocity, bullet size and weight etc..

The only way to know for sure is to shoot to 100 yards and be sure you practice at your intended range as well ... The longer you stretch it out, the more you need trigger time.

like already said, only the range will tell. I will GUESS that you will be a little low at 100 yards. But then I have seen these rifles do some strange things.

Hi Thought I'd offer Chairgun up

I'm an avid airgunner, and when I sight an air rifle in, I do it at about 10-15 yards. This would give me 2 zeroes in the scope, one at 10 yards, and the second at 35 yards, for example. The distances in between these zeroes will hit high.

If you are using Iron sights, I would venture a guess that the 100 yard shot will be a little low, since irons are pretty close to the bore center. But with high scope mounts, the bullet may still be climbing towards it trajectory apex, and may have a second zero at 150 yards, for instance, when sighted in at 50.

If you can reasonably know your muzzle velocity, bullet weight and ballistic coefficient, you may be able to use ChairGun Pro to determine the best sight in distance for your 2 zeroes.

Or try:
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/brc/index.php

Just a thought.

The best thing is to just shoot at 100 yards. Your groups may be good at 50 but you might be all over the place at 100 yards. I know this because at this point I am all over the place at 100 yards with my Knight Bighorn. You have to figure out a good bullet/powder coefficient with your gun at 100 yards.

Latest posts

Back