BH209 + FPB = dead deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursecosmo

Reaction score
So I'm hunting my cousin's hunting plot from a blind yesterday, 300 yard shooting lane in both directions. I brought my trusty Omega for any close in shots, but my cousin guaranteed me that I wouldn't have shots less than 200 yards. So I put my Omega in a corner of the blind and I had a borrowed 270 in shooting position when a beautiful buck steps out of the woods 100 yards away. Like an idiot, instead of reaching for my Omega, I sighted in with the 270 and let fly. The shot placement was good, but possibly high through the lungs. Away he ran into the woods 130 yards away, never to be seen again. No blood trail, no crashing sounds in the brush, no meat on the table. Man was I disgusted. Later in the evening a good sized doe steps out of the woods at a similar distance. One shot with the Omega through the same area, and she didn't even flinch. She just fell over in kind of slow motion. There is just no arguing with a half inch hunk of hot-jacked-ballistic-tipped lead pushed by 100 grains of black horn. At least I'll have something to eat.

Will never pass up a shot with the "loud mouthed witch" again.

Congratulations on the doe, sorry about the buck.

The 350 gr FPB's are darn good shooting bullets, and they deliver on the other end as well. Never heard a bad thing about them as far as terminal performance.

I have one loaded over 80 gr BH209 in my rifle right now.

They have a new 300 gr FPB listed on Hornady's website, but I haven't seen them on any store shelves yet. Hope they shoot as well as the 350's, and they should be just about perfect for deer sized game.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB

Good luck getting that buck.

Latest posts

Back