teflon on breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
I tried the teflon trick on my knight extreme last weekend. When I took the plug out there wasn't a trace of any tape left on it. The threads were completely clean. Any body else have this experience? I also notice that it went in pretty hard no way you could put it in by hand turning it. Too much tape? I only wrapped it around once, and I used the white tape. Any thoughts.
Doug

Doug the white tape is too thin and it's still in the threads.
You should use the pink tape. It's thicker and tougher.

Personally I have stopped using the tape several years ago, and have had no problems with plug erosion or blow back, and NEVER a stuck plug.

I use Knights breech plug grease with Teflon. Period.
I use on all my rifles regardless of brand. I just turn in finger tight.

Knight really did know what they were doing when they made this grease.

thanks, maybe I will just stick to grease, thought it was worth a try.

dalberg

What you experianced is pretty much the norm, the tape comes of the BP when you turn it out. It has laminated itself to the threads on the breech. That is why it was difficult to put it back in.

All you need is a breech brush to push in the breech and turn then pull it out - it will bring the old tape out with it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

The large brush on the left is the one you need.

The threads were completely clean.

What's not to like about completely clean threads on the breech plug? That's only one of the good things about teflon tape Dalberg. As Sabotloader said - the tape is in the breech threads and is easily removed.

Spitpatch said:
Doug the white tape is too thin and it's still in the threads. You should use the pink tape. It's thicker and tougher.quote]

Not alway's. The tolerance is to tight to use the pink in my ML. No issue's using the white.

dalberg

by clean I mean clean of any teflon tape, nothing left on it.

Correct, that is what most often occurs. What that indictes to me is that you installed the tape correctly on the BP, insterted the BP into the breech and snugged the BP up to the barrel flange. Then as you shot the tape and BP installation seal all blow-bac from coming back down the or into the threads.

When you removed the BP the tape remained adheared to the threads of the barrel as you screwed the plug out. Which is not abnomal. In my Remingtons the tape usually does stay mostly on the plug, but in others it comes off and stays in the Breech plug threads.

This is what it might look like from my Remingtons..

BreechPlug.jpg

Another example after shooting BH from the Remington

BoltNippleBP.jpg

This is a plug getting ready to go into one of my Knights...

IMG_0026.jpg

This picture shows the plug a little closer. One thing I would add, make sure you seat the tape on the plug. I do that by turning the plug in my fingers with the ratchet. While turning apply a small amount of pressure to the tape as it turns forcing the tape down into the threads of the plug.

IMG_0028.jpg

I do not have a picture to show you but when the plug comes back out from my knights - most of the tape remains in the breech threads and can be easily removed with the bottle brush...

Hope some of this might help ya...

dalberg said:
by clean I mean clean of any teflon tape, nothing left on it.

If your not getting any blow-back around the threads, and the plug comes out like it should, the tape done it's job. Clean the threads up an retape.

i'll give it another shot I guess Ii just expected to see some tape left on the plug

Latest posts

Back