KRB and BH209 with .45/70 Bullets...I Think I'll Keep Them

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhobbybobby

Reaction score
I just bought a Knight KRB-7 just to be able to use Blackhorn 209 powder. I got to the range with fellow member Fordriver for the first time today to try it out, using 100 gr. by volume BH209 with a Remington 405 grain .458" .45/70 bullet in the orange MMP sabot and a CCI standard 209 primer.

I had previously sighted the rifle in with Pyrodex and some left over 250 gr. bullets, and I didn't expect the rifle to shoot to the same point of impact with the heavier bullets, but it did, as you can see. My first 3-shot group at 100 yards was 1.3". I am hooked! This rig and load should be good for anything from porcupines to brown bear.

The scope is a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40mm fixed power in Warne rings. I really like the combination.

The only problem was a very slight hangfire on each shot, so I have a message in to Knight to see about a different breech plug. But I think we have a winner!

BHKRB-1.jpg

txhunter58 said:
If you can shoot that well with a hangfire, you are better than me! Good shootin.

Yeah I AGREE! That is good shooting! My KRB really will shoot with about anything...it will out-shoot my Long Range Hunter any day of the week.

I DO get an occasional hang-fire using sabots that are really easy to seat. I'm thinking Knight will open the flashhole/eliminate the dome on future breechplugs..

Great looking muzzleloader! :wink:

Nice shooting! That would be a magnum load right there. :D Tell Knight they need to enlarge the flash hole in their breech plugs for the new BH209 powder, or at least offer a breech plug with a larger hole as an option. I think the standard plugs for that rifle only have about a .015"-.020" flash hole, they should be around .030" or a hair bigger, no more than .035" for BH209.

Might be able to ream your flash hole out a little if you can find the right bit. It will be a lettered bit.

That is some outstanding shooting..

I shoot those same bullets with 100 grains of 2f powder and find the accuracy exceptional. I use the Knight/MMP orange sabots and the Remington 405 grain FP and also I cast my own out of pure lead.

I have never tried the new powder but it sure is interesting.

big6x6 said:
txhunter58 said:

Yeah I AGREE! That is good shooting! My KRB really will shoot with about anything...it will out-shoot my Long Range Hunter any day of the week...

That is a powerful statement for the KRB.

Have you tried the BH209 with your LRH, Chuck? I've seen the results with the MHC barreled Knights and some of the Elites, I would expect the same for the LRH.

That KRB is one smooth lookin' rifle though... something about that rolling block action that has always had a soft spot in me.

Response from Knight

I got the following response by email from Knight today:

The size of flash hole in the KRB plug was made to work best with the
current powders, like Triple 7 and Pioneer, etc.

That is the only breech plug that works in the KRB. If you are
wanting to use that new powder, the only thing you could have a metal
shop do, would be to open up the flash hole to 35/1000. It is at 32/1000
right now.

Jeff Dinwiddie
KNIGHT TECH SUPPORT 641-856-2626
21822 HWY J46 CENTERVILLE, IA 52544

Is this a dome style plug? If so you might consider using a countersink and relieving the domed area. That would shorten the channel length and probably resolve the problem without opening up the dia.

DC

Yes, I am thinking of doing both the countersink and flash hole reaming. I will try to get it done next week and post the results. Thanks.

Re: Response from Knight

wildhobbybobby said:
I got the following response by email from Knight today:

The size of flash hole in the KRB plug was made to work best with the
current powders, like Triple 7 and Pioneer, etc.

That is the only breech plug that works in the KRB. If you are
wanting to use that new powder, the only thing you could have a metal
shop do, would be to open up the flash hole to 35/1000. It is at 32/1000
right now.

Jeff Dinwiddie
KNIGHT TECH SUPPORT 641-856-2626
21822 HWY J46 CENTERVILLE, IA 52544

I know for a fact that Knight IS working on a Blackhorn 209 solution for the KRB....

Two things that CAN help... I know for a FACT that tighter fitting sabots help! For instance..use a .452 bullet such as a XTP/SST AND use the largest diameter sabot such as a MMP short black/HPH-12. ALSO..some say a high output primer such as a Federal 209A/CCI Mag helps too.

wild bobby thats a nice set up you have thier and nice shooting.

Thanks for all of the compliments...I think that owning a flintlock does a great job preparing you to shoot well with a gun that hangfires!

CCI,i believe makes a 209 magnum primer. Something you may want to check into and see if those help.

wildhobbybobby, that is a VERY nice set up!! And apparently, an awesome shooter. Great shooting!

Latest posts

Back