Homemade Range Sand Bags or Rest?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbidwe

Reaction score
I just a got a new MZ and want to go to the range and get some shots off. My question is this; can anyone out there suggest a cheap way to puts some sand bags together or have home made plans of shooting bags they can send my way. I am not ready yet to buy a Lead Sled. All I want is to rest the front of my rifle on something solid to shoot off the wood bench at my shooting range.

Thanks for any help out there.

I used sand bags and also a range box covered in two moving blankets. Old military ammo cans the size you like work fine covered in a moving blanket or pad. I only keep bullets in the ammo box so its no danger and adds weight to the base.

The Led Sled on sale for under $80 was worth every penny and really helps tighten the groups until you get used to a new gun and it recoil.

Sand Bags

Take some old jeans cut off the legs, sew up one end, fill from the other, then sew it up. If you don't have any old ones around hit up the local goodwill or salvation army.

Walmart carries a cheap gun vise for about 25.00 also.

one time i used two big zipp lock bags filled with sand and just used duck tape around them to sturdy it up a bit. It will be the ugliest thing out on the range but it worked fine.

I use small bags of Kitty Litter placed inside a pillow case. Cheap and easy.

Like grizzly said, cut some old jeans that have the knees out of them, sew the ends. I used my wife's sewing machine and sewed onw end solid, the other end leave an inch or so un-sewed and use a funnel to put sand in and then hand sew the hole. I've been useing mine for several years and they work great. Go ahead and try to make at least 4 if you can and don't fill them solid. That way you can kind of pat them in to make them more stable. Heck you could use any pants leg if you wanted.

i like to use a pillowcase, fill it with sand about ooooh a little more than half way full and then use a plastic zip clip and its good to go. Keep in mind though, it will weigh 70 to 80lbs so it stays on my shooting bench at all times :lol:

Latest posts

Back