Almost ready!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got all of our powder tubes - Bullets and Primers all loaded up and stuffed into the possibles bags. I cut down on size this year as usual, we always pack more than what we need. I took everything we need to take apart/clean the 3 rifles, along with extra bullets, primers and of course, Powder. A tiny box of spare parts for the sidelocks ( Nipples, tumblers,sear & such) Plug tape and grease. Just cutting up a bunch of patches now to put into a sandwitch bag just in case its needed at some point.

Got 2 new tires for the ATV, Walmart surprisingly had them! Got 2 tires for the price of one if i went to the other ATV places around here.

Also ordered new rings and upper end gaskets for the other ATV. Love getting everything taken care of at the last minute :wall: Nothing better than rebuilding the upper end of a motor that you've never tried to do in your life. At to top it off, 8 days before hunting season!

What else am i forgetting?

1. flat tire repair kit
2. first aid kit
3. sharpen your hunting knife
4. fresh batteries for flash light /range finder
5. binoculars with clean lenses
6. some type of wind checker
7. field dressing gloves if you use them
8. camera
9. toilet paper
10. spare socks
11. hunting license (I have forgot this once)
12. cell phone
13. compass /gps

fliowa said:
1. flat tire repair kit
2. first aid kit
3. sharpen your hunting knife
4. fresh batteries for flash light /range finder
5. binoculars with clean lenses
6. some type of wind checker
7. field dressing gloves if you use them
8. camera
9. toilet paper
10. spare socks
11. hunting license (I have forgot this once)
12. cell phone
13. compass /gps

Don't forget to pack the knife after you sharpen it!! :D

:lol: I remembered THIS TIME to put the saw in my truck. Ever try splitting open an elk with a small knife? Holy smokes!

One ATV is ready to go. Replaced 2 tires and fixed the other 2, topped off coolant and oil.

The other ATV will have parts coming in either tomorrow or the next day. Upper end rebuild.

I always have this ugly feeling that im forgetting something.

Next to food, gas is the second most expensive thing! Actually just fill up the truck, atv's and a 5 gallon gas can. We're only hunting 70 miles from home.

frontier gander said:
:lol: I remembered THIS TIME to put the saw in my truck. Ever try splitting open an elk with a small knife? Holy smokes.

I have never actually used a saw for an elk. I use a 4 inch knife to quarter an elk in about an hour. Not saying there is a right or wrong way to do it. Have lots of friends that use a saw. There is just more than one way to skin an elk! Just figure that I want to remove as much bone as possible to haul him out, and a knife is the easiest way for me to debone.

I too have been making my lists and checking them twice as I pack to leave next week. Bring it on!

Good luck and look forward to some great photos and reports of how the new bullets do.

And as far as costs go, you got to remember that food don't cost you anything! You got to eat wether you are at home or hunting. At least that is what I keep telling my wife! I will have a little more gas expense. 900 miles from home to the hunting area.

black powder said:
12. cell phone .....on a hunting trip ????????

I had a friend fall out of a tree stand once and blew out his knee and injured his back. He was able to call on his cell phone for help. I have also been in a tree stand and had a group of trespassers come on the property. I called the sheriffs office from the tree stand and we all met at the gait. I keep it on vibrate when I am hunting. If I hunt with my son I can keep in touch with him by text messaging. It can be used as a portable alarm clock. It's the old saying ,"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Wish I had a cell phone when I broke my leg in 1993 after a fall out of a tree stand. I carry one now cause I still hunt by myself at times. Its just the smart thing to do.

they also sell safety harness so u don't fall down ...i would use that before useing the cell phone . [just a thought]

we dont really get that good of cell phone service due to the mountains all around but there are a few places. We do carry one at all times BUT we make sure its turned off until we need it!! :lol: had it ring once on a hunt and just about threw the darn thing.

Here the are the Three Amigos. We're all shooting the same bullets this year. The only rifle thats shooting a lower charge load is the traditons bolt action, its sighted in with 90gr RS and the .501" 247gr Thor. The other Two are using 110gr Pyrodex RS.
Accura-Table011.jpg

I went to a small run down looking shop about 3 weeks ago and found 2 of these right off the bat, I tore apart the shelf looking for one more and found the 3rd possibles bag. They are made by Remington and you just slip your belt into the hoop. For $3 each i figured i couldnt go wrong!
Accura-Table007.jpg

Back