Need a good, accurate bullet for my .50 cal Encore....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinginairos

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am trying to find a bullet that will perform well on whitetails out to 200 yards. I am shooting a TC Encore and have been shooting TC Shockwave 250's from it with BH209. These bullets have worked well for me but I think there is something out there that will work better and maybe slightly cheaper. I would buy the bullets and sabots seperate if I know what to get. Any suggestions?

flinginairos

I believe there are bullets out there that are less expensive and will work very well on whitetail to 200 yards.

The first one that comes to my mind is the Speer .452/300 grain Gold Dot. While this is a heavy bullet it supports a decent BC and when you look at the Ballistic table for it - it does look very good. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet with controlled expansion - sort of like a 'poorman's Nosler'

It was built for the 454 Casual hunting pistol.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... spx?id=142

Here is my ballistic sheet for this bullet...

UM300GD1-1.jpg

Another really good bullet - less expensive is the Hornady 10mm/200 grain XTP. Several people have registered harvest with this bullet - even hogs...

sabotloader said:
flinginairos

I believe there are bullets out there that are less expensive and will work very well on whitetail to 200 yards.

The first one that comes to my mind is the Speer .452/300 grain Gold Dot. While this is a heavy bullet it supports a decent BC and when you look at the Ballistic table for it - it does look very good. The Gold Dot is a bonded bullet with controlled expansion - sort of like a 'poorman's Nosler'

UM300GD1-1.jpg

Another really good bullet - less expensive is the Hornady 10mm/200 grain XTP. Several people have registered harvest with this bullet - even hogs...

The ballistics on that one look pretty good. Do they make one similar in 250gr?

flinginairos

They do make a great 250 but the ballistic are not as good. It is a wicked whitetail bullet easily to 175 but falls off after that. It has a really deep open Hollow Point along the lines of a Barnes Expander - I think that is the one....

This is an old sheet from my A&H, but it was with 100 grains of T7-2f - you could easily move this up with 110-120 or if you are using BH it will up a bit anyway.

250SpeerGD.jpg

I personaly like the lightfield alpha gold 300gr 99% pure lead spitzer boattail sabot. My Genesis likes them. did a 2 hole five shot group with them friday while fine tuning my scope. 50 yrds, 2 holes due to adjusting scope 1/2" to right. check them out. 14 to a pack about $11 a pack here. they make easy work of a deer at 100 yrds I can atest to that. done it a few weeks back. I'm sure they can be pushed to 200.
I use 100gr of BH 209 puts them at about 1800fps by the paper work.

thttp://www.lightfieldslugs.com/lightfi ... pageid=337

flinginairos said:
sabotloader said:
flinginairos

UM300GD1-1.jpg

What powder load were you using for this test?

sabotloader said:
flinginairos

They do make a great 250 but the ballistic are not as good. It is a wicked whitetail bullet easily to 175 but falls off after that. It has a really deep open Hollow Point along the lines of a Barnes Expander - I think that is the one....

This is an old sheet from my A&H, but it was with 100 grains of T7-2f - you could easily move this up with 110-120 or if you are using BH it will up a bit anyway.

250SpeerGD.jpg
\

Now that I think of it, I used that bullet a few years back out of my dads TC Black Diamond. I killed a doe with it at 160 yards and it TORE HER UP!!

I think I might get some to try with my Encore.

flinginairos

They do work, and the best part is that work well even when you miss the sweet spot by a few inches - bone or tissue.

Hi guys, I am trying to find a bullet that will perform well on whitetails out to 200 yards. I am shooting a TC Encore and have been shooting TC Shockwave 250's from it with BH209. These bullets have worked well for me but I think there is something out there that will work better and maybe slightly cheaper

T/C Shockwaves and Hornady SSTs

1. There ARE cheaper bullets out there but none that are as accurate AND/OR are as good ballistically.
2. There ARE bullets out there that perform better on game but are more expensive/less ballistic friendly.

My advice? Use the SST/Shockwave... I've shot MORE game with it than any other and I have few complaints as long as I do myh part.

I tend to agree with big 6x6. I have used 250 grain shockwaves for a few years now. I have taken game out to 185 yards with several animals in the 130 to 160 yard range. Learn your bullet drop out to 200 yards. I use shooting sticks and a range finder while hunting. I also prefer a good 3x9 scope.

flinginairos

In the White UMag I shoot 110 grains T7-2f. In the A&H at that time I was shooting 100 grains of T7-2f.

Today i would shoot both a 110 grains, as I do now from my Omega.

Here are some expanded Gold Dots after being shoot in a wet clay waterbar @ 100 yards

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

I shoot 250 BE's out of mine.. NO complaints from the dead deer yet.

flinginairos

You realize I can not disagree with the thoughts about SST'/SW's Parkers and the others - just when i read your post I read the "

will work better and maybe slightly cheaper

The written less expensive qualifier brought my suggestions - as far as "work better" that I really do not know because I have not found the need to shoot 'pointy bullets' yet from a ML.

flinginairos said:
Hi guys, I am trying to find a bullet that will perform well on whitetails out to 200 yards. I am shooting a TC Encore and have been shooting TC Shockwave 250's from it with BH209. These bullets have worked well for me but I think there is something out there that will work better and maybe slightly cheaper. I would buy the bullets and sabots seperate if I know what to get. Any suggestions?

I have some 240 grain xtp and sabots i got by mistake , they were hind the 300 grain xtp' when i grabbed some . Give me your address and i will l send you a box to try for free !! They only cost me 5.00 at walmart close out !!

Pm me you address if want to try them !!!!

Take a look at the Harvester 330 gr. hard cast they are $8.99 for 20 with sabots, from grafs : http://www.grafs.com/product/230209

I actually have the mold to cast these myself, they shoot great in all smokepoles and even fly very good at longer ranges. they also offer a 280 gr version that is $6.99 for 20 and that also inclused the sabot.

Ken
CNY

Latest posts

Back