New Triumph owner. XTP's????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnvahunter

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals new to the forum and i have a new triumph. I'm looking for some insite. I'm getting ready to order some 44 cal. 430 dia 300 gr XTPs. I'm planning on ordering some harvester crush rib sabots and short blacks. Does this sound ok? Anything else i should pick up for this gun? Thanks for the feedback.

jon

I would switch the .430 xtps for some .452's in either 250 or 300 grain. Keep the same sabots you mentioned and you should be good to go because both are designed for the .452 bullets as minst mentioned.

Is this based on your gun? How'd it shoot? I'm still learning if you can't tell. I use to buy just the bullets and sabots from wally world and never gave it a thought to trying different setups. So please bare with me.
Thank ya'll for you help.

If you order the .44 cal bullets their actual diameter is .430. You will need to get a sabot that is made for shooting .44 cal bullets out of a .50 cal barrel. The short black mmp and harvester crush rib are designed for .452 bullets.

I like the .452 bullets because there are so many options and lots of different sabots to try. Odds are, one of them should work really well.

younghunter_86 said:
I would switch the .430 xtps for some .452's in either 250 or 300 grain. Keep the same sabots you mentioned and you should be good to go because both are designed for the .452 bullets as minst mentioned.

That's EXACTLY what I'd do... 8)

You are getting good advice, but I will go a bit against the grain and say that I just love the .430 300 grain XTP and use it in all my inlines (Knights). It shoots very accurately using the Crush Rib sabot, often giving 3 shot groups under an inch.

I prefer the .430 diameter bullets because they have a better ballistic coefficient than the .452's and should shoot a smidge flatter and penetrate a mite farther than a .452 of the same weight and construction.

And I just bought a bunch of those bullets from Midway for $12.95 per box of 50. It makes for inexpensive shooting while still using a great quality bullet. I have killed several deer with them and they do alot of damage and still pass right through. I would not hesitate to use them for heavier game and they shoot flat enough for 200 yards if you know what you are doing.

There are a lot of things you could try.
The one thing I wold suggest is that you check the Sticky up near the top of the forum page and make sure that you have a usable combination of sabot and bullet so as not to waste any money. Lee

I would stick with the .452, they will group really well and will do a number on whatever you hit with it.

tnvahunter said:
Hey guys and gals new to the forum and i have a new triumph. I'm looking for some insite. I'm getting ready to order some 44 cal. 430 dia 300 gr XTPs. I'm planning on ordering some harvester crush rib sabots and short blacks. Does this sound ok? Anything else i should pick up for this gun? Thanks for the feedback.

jon

What you want to use with the 44 cal boolet is green crush rib sabot, and/or short green sabot. I believe the crush rib will work good in your Triumph. If it is too loose (i don't think it will be), then you could try the short green sabot.

Back