tc encore vs pro hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitcat800

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the encore and pro hunter. I can get the encore for $200 less than the pro hunter. Is the pro hunter really worth the extra $200? Would a limbsaver make the guns close?

summitcat800 said:
Trying to decide between the encore and pro hunter. I can get the encore for $200 less than the pro hunter. Is the pro hunter really worth the extra $200? Would a limbsaver make the guns close?

The SIMS LIMBSAVER recoil pad will make a very big difference .i bought the ENCORE and it did not have the LIMBSAVER recoil pad . i ordered the PRO-HUNTER rear stock and installed it on my ENCORE ..[BIG DIFFERENCE]

i would buy anouther ENCORE and with the $200.00 left over get all the new trigger,hammer and fire pin springs from MIKE BELLM ...also get the aluminum HAMMER-EXTENTION from MIKE ..if u install a scope..

i know u did not ask ....but ..why not get the T/C TRIUMPH ???????
i shot and handled the TRIUMPH and would buy it without a blink of an eye.

This may be coincidence and personal experience; several of my friends all bought different TC's, while they all shoot good none of the rest will match the accuracy of the Triumph as a muzzle loader.
I suppose it could well be a case of individual guns as no two are even set up exactly the same, but I found it interesting that the dedicated muzzle loader shot the best as a muzzle loader. Lee

If you are looking for ease of shooting, excellent accuracy, and ease of care, then the Triumph is hard to beat for the $$$ you will spend. Heck, I think it's hard to beat regardless of how much money you spend. With the limbsaver recoil pad it comes with, you won't notice the kick enough to make the fancy stock recoil reducer worth it in my opinion.

Lee 9 said:
This may be coincidence and personal experience; several of my friends all bought different TC's, while they all shoot good none of the rest will match the accuracy of the Triumph as a muzzle loader.
I suppose it could well be a case of individual guns as no two are even set up exactly the same, but I found it interesting that the dedicated muzzle loader shot the best as a muzzle loader. Lee

That probably had the most to do with the bullet/sabot combo they were using and the shooters themselves.

I would be willing to pit my Encore Endeavor against any Triumph any day of the week and twice on sunday. It just took me a little while to figure out what bullet/sabot combo worked the best in my rifle. Now it will stack a 3 round group the size of a quarter at 100 yards! From the pictures and posts I've seen and read on this forum and others, production muzzleloader accuracy doesn't get much better than that...

I have a Encore Endeavor and its a nice ML, it just needs alot of attention to stay accurate. If i personally were gonna buy another ML it would be a Triumph. Unless your deadset on swapping out barrels, there are way to many variables to the encore being accurate and keeping its POI the same after diassembling it. With a Triumph you dont have to worry about foreend screws going on the same way, forened ears rubbing recievers, and hinge pin problems. NOT all encores suffer from this, but do a little research on here and other sites and its more the norm..........If you do go the encore way , i would suggest the Endeavor, the speedbreech XT is worth it alone.........

summitcat800

I think if you read revpilot remarks you will find them pretty accurate. I have only recently aquired a Triumph and I would at this early point say that I think it is really a good rifle. They have changed many of the Encore short commings and put them to work in the Triumph.

Mike Bellen and Cecil Epp have created a pretty decent business - replacing original factory parts in the Encore series guns.

Couple of additional points... as revpilot says the true value of the Encore series is the abilty to switch barrels to a centerfire. If you do not plan on doing this or using that feature why pay for it. The other slight down side is the additonal paper work required - since it has the capability to shoot centerfire - you will need to get it from a FFL dealer.

Good luck in your search...

revpilot said:
I have a Encore Endeavor and its a nice ML, it just needs alot of attention to stay accurate. If i personally were gonna buy another ML it would be a Triumph. Unless your deadset on swapping out barrels, there are way to many variables to the encore being accurate and keeping its POI the same after diassembling it. With a Triumph you dont have to worry about foreend screws going on the same way, forened ears rubbing recievers, and hinge pin problems. NOT all encores suffer from this, but do a little research on here and other sites and its more the norm..........If you do go the encore way , i would suggest the Endeavor, the speedbreech XT is worth it alone.........

Wow! That sucks! I don't have any of those issues with my Endeavor. It shoots in the same place every time. Even after a complete disassembly and cleaning.

I am planning on changing barrels in the furture. I have talked to folks and read about the other "changeable" systems the Encore series keeps being recommended. Not many people I know have shot the Pro Hunter to really know the difference. Thanks for the opinions on the Triumph. Others have warned me about the interchangable barrels and their issue.

summitcat800 if you ever install a center-fire barrel on ur ENCORE ,PRO-HUNTER or ENDEAVOR ,don't forget to change the hammer spring ..it takes more power to set off a center-fire cartridge than a 209 primer ..or u will get SOME hangfires..

I don't really see the big deal about a speed breech except the seal but t a little teflon tape on the threads and on the lip of the breech plug and that takes care of that and 30.00 limb saver pad and you have almost same thing . I was also looking at both but decided on the encore . I also don't have a problem reaching the hammer under my scope . But either way you are getting a good gun . I really like the looks of both the Encore and Pro H. I did have a few bugs to work out of mine . Was not locking closed all the way and had play between the barrel and Receiver but a 3.00 spring from Ballm did the trick .But you could have that problem (RARE ) with either gun . if it were me i would get a scope with the extra 200 and get the encore ,

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=16

encorecamoIMG_2051-1.jpg

summitcat800

if you do go the encore route, this is what i did on mine. First thing i did was take a buisness card and slide it under the ears on the forend by the reciever, it didnt fit at first, so i sanded the ears until it would slide under both sides and wasnt rubbing. Then i removed the forend screws and torqued them down, and wrote it down, and i just torque them down the same everytime. I marked the hinge pin and did some shooting and it didnt move, so i just keep a eye on that. If i do my part at the range it will shoot close to MOA or under..........

black powder said:
summitcat800 if you ever install a center-fire barrel on ur ENCORE ,PRO-HUNTER or ENDEAVOR ,don't forget to change the hammer spring ..it takes more power to set off a center-fire cartridge than a 209 primer ..or u will get SOME hangfires..

Black powder,
I have a pro hunter bought new with a 30.06 barrel not a ML barrel. Do they come with a more powerfull hammer spring. Where do you get different hammer spring?

Blue Elk said:
black powder said:

Black powder,
I have a pro hunter bought new with a 30.06 barrel not a ML barrel. Do they come with a more powerfull hammer spring. Where do you get different hammer spring?

scroll up and u will see UtahRob's posting with the MIKE BELLM site>>>

UtahRob said:
I don't really see the big deal about a speed breech except the seal but t a little teflon tape on the treads and on the lip of the breech plug and that takes care of that and 30.00 limb saver pad and you have almost same thing . I was also looking at both but decided on the encore . I also don't have a problem reaching the hammer under my scope . But either way you are getting a good gun . I really like the looks of both the Encore and Pro H. I did have a few bugs to work out of mine . Was not locking closed all the way and had play between the barrel and Receiver but a 3.00 spring from Ballm did the trick .But you could have that problem (RARE ) with either gun . if it were me i would get a scope with the extra 200 and get the encore ,

encorecamoIMG_2051-1.jpg

Have you used a Pro Hunter, Endeavor, or Triumph with Speed Breech? If you haven't then that's probably why you don't think it's a big deal. For me personally, I absolutely love the Speed Breech XT on my Endeavor. I can remove the BP with my fingers and I get zero blowback. Nothing where the primer seats and nothing coming back up the threads. TC should be given some sort of innovation award for Speed Breech XT.

SWThomas said:
UtahRob said:
I don't really see the big deal about a speed breech except the seal but t a little teflon tape on the treads and on the lip of the breech plug and that takes care of that and 30.00 limb saver pad and you have almost same thing . I was also looking at both but decided on the encore . I also don't have a problem reaching the hammer under my scope . But either way you are getting a good gun . I really like the looks of both the Encore and Pro H. I did have a few bugs to work out of mine . Was not locking closed all the way and had play between the barrel and Receiver but a 3.00 spring from Ballm did the trick .But you could have that problem (RARE ) with either gun . if it were me i would get a scope with the extra 200 and get the encore ,

encorecamoIMG_2051-1.jpg

Have you used a Pro Hunter, Endeavor, or Triumph with Speed Breech? If you haven't then that's probably why you don't think it's a big deal. For me personally, I absolutely love the Speed Breech XT on my Endeavor. I can remove the BP with my fingers and I get zero blowback. Nothing where the primer seats and nothing coming back up the threads. TC should be given some sort of innovation award for Speed Breech XT.

No
You only remove the breech plug to clean it and takes a whole 15 sec to remove mine . Now if i had to remove it all the time i could see the advantage . Just not worth the a extra 200.oo or more ( TO ME ) for speed breech and 2'' more barrel and swivel hammer and stock If i had money today i would get the SS Omega . I also bought my Encore through a friend with a FFL and paid 10.00 over his cost for my SS Encore and could have got a pro hunter ( his cost )for the price of a Encore else where . Just didn't care about all the extra stuff . So i took the extra $$$ and bought a 1x scope .more Powder, bullets, primers , cleaning stuff and lunch for my friend and me . Nothing against those who love the extra stuff on the Pro H. or Endeavor .

I do believe the T/C Endeavor knurled breech plug is well worth the extra expense. I bought an Endeavor barrel just for the convienence of the twist and turn breech plug.

My local dealer sells the Pro hunter and the Endeavor rifles for the same price, a tool-less breechplug will be the standard from T/C except for the Omega rifle.

Chocdog

I have both the Encore and the Pro Hunter versions. I preferr the Encore.
I just like the balance and look of the 26" barrel more.
I the Encore ML .50 barrel, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag.
The Pro Hunter in .339 Win Mag.
The ML is my favorite. Lots of fun to shoot and hunt with and very accurate with the new 209 powder and 300 gr. Barnes bullets.
When using a rifle barrel I usually pick up the 7mm barrel. It shoots great and the recoil is not very heavy.

Both work great.

Good luck and enjoy which ever you choose.

Latest posts

Back