Danged dirty crud ring!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I got some 245gr HP Powerbelts in the mail today and even though its snowing and a cold sob outside, i went shooting. For the past week and a half i put a lightly coated patch of wonderlube * bore butter* into my Accuras barrel and then use a dozen paper towel patches to mop up the excess. The bore had a very smooth waxy feel to it and so i let it set. Until today. Ran a couple down the bore, no rust at all.

Loaded up, nice and smooth. Shot it and reloaded. Ramrod stopped about 3" above the powder charge. Son of a gun, the last thing i want to do is jack around with this in the freezing cold. I went and bunched up my coat and put it over the ramrod and pushed hard and after a gritty 3" struggle, it was seated.

Fired the shot, took note and set to reloading again.

Shot #3 was the same danged way.

Group was alright, Its been a while and i had flinched pretty bad on the first shot + the bulky gloves didnt help at all.

Anyway, i took it home and cleaned the rifle out and used Glass doctor winder cleaner and cleaned that bore spotless.

Loaded up 3 loaders and went back out.

No troubles at all with a crud ring!

That waxy crap in the bore caused nothing but problems today.

powerbelts, oh yah i was supposed to email some to you :d'oh!: :d'oh!: :d'oh!:

I found a new use for Power Belts. We nailed a piece of 2 x 4 on top a post and set a row of PB's on it from 25 yds the guy that knocked the least of them off had to buy the drinks.Had a buch of them laying around from back in the days before inlines.

i dont care if you talk some smack lee, i'll still shoot them with excellent results. Just feeding the fire some wood IMO.

OptimaAndy said:

You can email Powerbelts? Awesome! :p

Wy'n'ell iz u messin wit Bore Butter? FG, you need to go put in firewood for the summer. :wink:

i just wanted to see if it would rust up the barrel. The only thing i did different want swab out the excess like i do with all gun oil that goes into the bore. It smells purdy so i guess part of me wanted to use it

Your Accura is stainless... While stainless CAN rust, depending on the quality and makeup of the steel, its alot less suseptable.

paia said:
OptimaAndy said:

You can email Powerbelts? Awesome! :p

Actually that is the best way I found of gettng them from point A to point B. Heeeee, Heeeee!!!!!

Got the right load today. I fired 6 shots in all. After the Red shots, i went home, swabbed the bore cleaned and loaded up 120gr Pyro RS and tried it out after minor scope adjustments. In black my first shot was 2" to the left so i think i will do 2 clicks to the right and see how that does. All shots were at 113 yards.

I'll let my brother in law use this load next year if he draws another NM buck tag.

Accurasnow245hp120gr-82.jpg

A008.jpg

Latest posts

Back