Advice needed for Traditions Buckhunter Pro

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red-rider

Reaction score
I joined the other day, and have been looking through old threads for help, and so, now I'll just ask.....

I have a Traditions Buckhunter Pro, .50 cal, 1/32 twist muzzle loader I bought used last year for $100. I am having the worst luck getting it to shoot well.

I am using winchester 209 primers and 100 gr 777 powder, either loose or 2 pellets. And I have started experimenting with dropping to 90 and 80 gr.

So far saboted bullets I have tried (different TC brand weights from Walmart) are not working. I mean 8 inch groups @ 40 yards.

I have some 270gr powerbelts that hold about 4 inches @ 40 yards, with 100 gr powder.

The best luck I have had is with the Hornady 350 grainers (no sabot), with these, I can make a 2 inch group , with the same 100 gr powder. The Walmart stores near me are not stoking these this year.

I have some 295 gr Powerbelt HP bullet to try also.

I have both 777 powder and pellets, and I think I like the powder form better, I had one "click..BOOM" with the pellets, and the powder has always just gone BOOM when I squeeze the trigger.

I have been running a brush down the barrel every 2 shots and then some of the t-17 blue stuff and trying to be real consistent with that.

Thats about it for my equipment and technique, so any advice you all have will be greatly appreciated. I really need to be pointed in the right direction on this, as I dont have the money to keep buying bullets and powder.

Thanks RR

Today, after the post above, I went to the range to try the 295gr powerbelt HP's. I used 90 gr of loose 777 powder. My first two shots were about 1.5 inches apart, using iron sights, shot 3 spread the group to maybe 2 inches. Shooting at about 40 yards again, I'm on a pistol range. Shots 3-5 opened up and shot 6 was WILD. I cleaned the bore and shot a .22 pistol for a few minutes. After cleaning, my next 2 shots were again pretty good, with a third being acceptable.

I need to buy some more powder before I can sight my scope in, but that where my progress has made it to.

I dropped the powder charge down to 85 gr. of 777. With the 296 gr powerbelt, I can shoot a 3 inch group @ 50 yards, after 1 fouling shot.

It seems the first shot after cleaning will be a flyer, shots 2 and 3 group nice and tight, and 4 will open the group up somewhat.

That will be good enough for deer in southern Arkansas, where you seldom can even see 50 yards in the woods. The 295's are traveling at 1450 fps @ the 85 gr powder charge.

Buckhunter Pro accuracy trouble

Hey Red

There are two reasons your accuracy may be suffering.

1. Regular strength 209 primers are a bit strong for T7 loads. They can push the projectile/powder combo down the barrel a bit before the powder is properly ignited. This will cause eradic results. Try the specialized T7 primers. They are a little less powerful but plenty strong to ignite T7.

2. Try letting your barrel cool between shots. If your barrel heats up enough to be uncomfortable to your hand, it can cause your sabots to soften. This prevents them from doing their job properly, costing you accuracy.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Some things to try...

80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and those same powerbelts. Although it does sound like you have a good group going. Still if a rifle acts up, I go to pyrodex powder. It will normally straighten them out.

After you have cleaned the rifle and are now ready to shoot... Take a patch. Put some alcohol on it. Swab the bore. Work the ramrod down the bore of the rifle in three inch strokes. Doing this all the way to the breech. Then back up of course. After that a dry patch. Now push that dry patch all the way to the bottom of the breech and pop a primer. This will blow clean the breech plug. It will also show you the burn mark of the primer. That patch should almost be destroyed.

Now dump your powder and seat your projectile. Try that. Also I swab between each shot in the manner described above. With a 1-32 twist, you have more of a conical shooting barrel then a sabot. Although it will shoot a sabot. Have you tried the maxiball, or some of the great plains concials like the 385 grain. Even some slip fit conicals might work real well in that rifle.

When shooting conicals a lot of powder is not really necessary. They might be slow, but they carry a lot of energy.

Back