JULY 14, 2009... 1st summer scouting trip for Archery season !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
In 2009 the Federal Wildlife Refuge I like to hunt removed the Archery Permit lottery system. I already applied for and received my archery stamp to hunt the upcoming 2009 archery season for deer at the 2,000 acre refuge. The season will begin in mid-October and, with restricted area designations, would in theory allow me to archery-hunt deer at this refuge from mid-October to essentailly January 31, 2009. (10 weeks !).

The reason I started scouting so early is that the Refuge is constructing their first, new Visitor's Center at one end and has openned-up certain Refuge trails to bicycles. Bikes were never allowed on the Refuge trails in the past. This will change the deer movements and habits considerable to adjust to the new traffic of hikers and bikers.

The Shotgun-Muzzleloader hunting seasons in the Refuge will still be by lottery ONLY. I will therefore need to wait until late September-early October to see if I got lucky in the lottery.

I will begin practicing next week with my bow.

Ah man i hate it when they open up land to bikers. Its bad enough with them on foot and their mouths!!

Take some pictures!! We'll be doing our scouting sometime next month. We havent been to our area going on 5 years. The 3 years we did hunt there, we didnt see a soul so that means bigger deer hopefully!

Latest posts

Back