Jukar Kentucky pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My friend picked this up today at a local pawn shop. I'll be taking it home with me and pretty it up.
20190311.jpg

How does the grip feel on that pistol? It looks like it might be uncomfortable.
Ron

Thank you for that information!

I had a black powder pistol with a steep angle to the grip like the one pictured. It was not uncomfortable, but the reach to the trigger was very long. I had to shift my hand position for cocking and then for firing.

Ron

I thought the barrel looked a little crooked! I'll have to do a little inletting but a lot of hogging out of the lock so the drum sits deeper into the lock. Quite a bit of tang sticking out of the wood inletting due to the drum and lock interference.
54278810.jpg

53084610.jpg

I have always liked the pistols like GRRW made back in the day, still available and like everything else they have become pricey.

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

th (2).jpg
This style of grip is more comfortable than the one you have, but the very best pistol grip that points dead on is more of the early 1800 European style.

opt_101317513_87874_783F248D73B944C2.jpg
A slight difference in the angle of the grip and set back a little.​

Last edited:
Some before pictures. I did a little work on it today and got the major stuff knocked off the list.
100-3131.jpg

100-3132.jpg

100-3134.jpg

100-3136.jpg

100-3137.jpg

100-3138.jpg

100-3139.jpg

100-3141.jpg

100-3144.jpg

Removed material from the lock and now the drum sits in deeper and the tang has dropped back into the wood inletting.
100-3153.jpg

100-3148.jpg

Protruding lock screws were also trimmed today. This was BEFORE I got to them.
100-3156.jpg

6-1mm nipple thread was cleaned up as it had a snug spot. Now it installs clean and smoothly.
100-3152.jpg

Well over the past 2 days I took some time and stripped the barrel down and browned it. I'll install a fresh nipple, then move onto the stock and get the finish removed.

I have the same gun only in flint that i got as a kit from DIXIE GUN WORKS 43 yrs ago and it is still sparking and have had not one problem in all of these years. a great testiment to the quality of SPANISH  made guns.

toot said:
I have the same gun only in flint that i got as a kit from DIXIE GUN WORKS 43 yrs ago and it is still sparking and have had not one problem in all of these years. a great testiment to the quality of SPANISH  made guns.
Make that SOME SPANISH GUNS, lots of bad press on many of them through out the years.   :scratch:

FrontierGander said:
My friend picked this up today at a local pawn shop. I'll be taking it home with me and pretty it up.
 Does anyone have a spare nose cap for one of these pistols? I have a .45 cal. here, but the nose cap is missing. Actually, while restoring it, I lost (misplaced) it. My cap has 2 holes up through the ramrod channel for the attaching screws that hold it to the barrel through the fore end of the stock :oops: I've torn my shop apart, can't find it. I'm sure the second that I buy one it'll turn up?  :slaps: Murphy's Law. :!:
Stoney

seems like there is some bad press on any foreign made guns. can they all be bad? remember the SPANISH were making gun's be fore there was an AMERICA. we are the new kid on the block.

toot said:
seems like there is some bad press on any foreign made guns. can they all be bad? remember the SPANISH were making gun's be fore there was an AMERICA. we are the new kid on the block.
toot
 Thanks buddy, and YES, they do get bad press!!!! I NEVER had an issue with any Spanish OR Italian made gun that I own. This pistol would be working fine, if I had just been more organized when I disassembled it 3 years ago. I found everything BUT that nose cap? I refinished the stock, Reworked the entire lock assembly,and had our Machine Shop Teacher rework the barrel and make a complete new tang/breech plug assembly. The only thing left to do is find that nose cap and reassemble the gun. I was a machinist by trade, as well as a knife and Black Powder accoutrements maker. I used to sell here on this site. you'll find reviews of my work in the Blacksmith, Shooting Accessories, and Muzzle Loading Craft forums. Look for anything having to do with Stoney, or Two Feathers. Thanks for the post.
God bless:
Stoney

Latest posts

Back