Thinking about an omega anything else I shoiuld look at?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john 800

Reaction score
I have been reading a little online and I would like a savage but they are little pricey, for half the money I am leaning towards the omega. It appears the going rate is just over $300 for a blued / black model. I would like something accurate and being able to shoot hot loads accurately is a plus but not a must have, as where I hunt I will get shots as far as I feel comfortable shooting and then some so I will need to draw a line somewhere anyway...
it would be a double purpose rifle for me shooting in southern mn during regular firearms season with a scope and with iron sights per mn regs during ML season what else should i look at in this price range?

OMEGA

Check Cabal's 299.00 for black and blue. with out a doubt the best muzzle-loader
for 300 and above. I love mine, when you call customer service or contact them on the Internet they jump. I broke the long jag and I figure it was my fault. I sent an e-male asking about a heavy duty one. they asked for my address and sent me a new one. When I shoved the bullet down the barrel the rifling unthreaded the jag.It was my fault and they were there for me. Low kick and does not rare up. very accurate and fun to shoot. I LOVE MY CVA BUT THIS IS A NEW WORLD.
GO TO CABELA,S AND READ THE REVIEWS ON THIS RIFLE.
OKI am off the soap box

If I was going to buy a new T/C it would be the Triumph. I have heard nothing but good things about it and I like the tip up barrel and speed breech for cleaning.

I shot a Triumph and looked at Omegas prior to buying. The Triumph is noticeably lighter, and seemed to recoil less with the same load. I DID buy the Omega because I wanted the laminated wood stock. The Triumph does have a much softer recoil pad.

I should mention that the Triumph has a VERY HIGH COMB on the stock, and won't be iron sight friendly.

With BH209, cleaning isn't an issue.

With a Weaver style base you could get a receiver sight from NECG so as to be able to swap from scope to peep.

Critter said:
If I was going to buy a new T/C it would be the Triumph. I have heard nothing but good things about it and I like the tip up barrel and speed breech for cleaning.

As long as you don't want to shoot solid lead conicals you can do just fine with any of the T/C inlines. They shoot sabots great once you find one that you can cram down the bore. T/C tends to run their barrels just a little on the tight side so some combinations will not work with their barrels.

Personally if I were looking for a new muzzleloader in that style I would be looking at the CVA Accura, I know several people that have one and find it to be one of the best they have experienced for both accuracy and quality of build. I have an Omega and it is not my favorite muzzleloader just due to the tight barrel problems and the need to bed any Omega to get any consistency after a short time. I have the flimsy plastic stock which is not known for solid bedding in the production form. It was a tack driver for about 50 shots then the accuracy went away. I am sure it is a stock bedding problem as the barrel touches the stock on one side and is completely clear on the other, also the front mounting lug is screwed to the barrel and with the screw bottomed out it still moves. Mine is one of the early very expensive ones as well not the new cheap models.

I wont buy another ML that doesn't have a tip up BBL
I don't intend to get rid of the drop action one I have I just wont get another.
They are a pain to clean IMHO :D

In TC I like the Triumph
In CVA I like the Accura and Apex,in that order

Keep an eye on Cabelas Bargain Cave. They had TC Triumphs for $249.00 several weeks ago. Ive seen Omegas also for $299.00 I was lucky enough to get a Triumph before they sold out. I will not have another ML without the Speedbreech. Triumph Rocks.

I really like my omega. its way easier to clean than my wolverine. the secret to accuracy is loctite the foward lug. you will need a t-8 torx wrench. mine came loose as well. i got a 1.25 group at 100 yards. the 150 gr. load recoils like the 100 gr. load.
cleaning is easy. clean barrel. breach plug, then wipe the area around the firing pin and below it. thats it.

also like its looks.

if your heart is set on a t/c omega then so be it.if your mind is open take a good look at the cvs accura.you wont be disapointed it's easy to clean and shoots like a dream.

There are quite a number of bore size projectiles that shoot great out of TC's for me. The best one is the FPB Hornady with will shoot one hole groups, the Thor also shoots great but is very expensive the 460 gr will shoot close to a minute of angle but has a healthy kick as it likes 90 gr.

Back